Keyword

Attachments STILL broken? Problems with MP3 files being renamed to TXT

• Chad Criswell
  • Chad Criswell's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #174940 by Chad Criswell
This has been occurring for well over a month now back to 2.10's release and is still going on after I updated to 2.10.2 today.

When we attach a PDF file to a K2 article it uploads fine but then it changes the filename from filename.pdf to filename.txt. See the attached image to see what I mean. This worked fine prior to 2.10!

Any idea what is going on? I see there are other posts on here about this same issue...

Also, here is a quick video showing what I am talking about.

drive.google.com/file/d/1_xZBD0uUY_A5vNdBJ9y0z5Bu4xu4ve8D/view

I also tried updating to the 2.10.3 dev release and the problem persists.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Chad Criswell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #174959 by JoomlaWorks
I believe you :)

However the issue is 99,999% related to wrong MIME detection in your server. In other words, the server cannot properly detect the file being uploaded is a PDF and as such does not pass on that info (for a valid file upload) to the PHP library that K2 users for file uploads. As such the uploader is renaming the file to a safe .txt extension.

Until the matter is addressed differently to cover cases where MIME detection is not done properly or at least not in a way that is compatible with the upload library K2 uses, you can use the "browser server" option, upload the file through that modal and then select to insert it.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Chad Criswell
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #174968 by Chad Criswell
Thank you for the reply, but can you help clarify a bit for me? I maintain the server but am not aware of any changes recently that I made that would have fiddled with this beyond routine cpanel and kernel updates. Any idea what path I would take to troubleshoot this MIME type issue?

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #174973 by JoomlaWorks
It depends on your server setup. What's the underlying webserver? Apache, Nginx, IIS?

---

• Chad Criswell
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #174979 by Chad Criswell
Apache with cpanel

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #174982 by JoomlaWorks
On a stock (current) cPanel server, there are no MIME setup issues with Apache.

Unless it's some old cPanel version with EA3 and a custom Apache build. More info would be helpful.

---

• Chad Criswell
More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #174983 by Chad Criswell
It's just a stock cpanel server. No changes were made when setting it up other than installing cpanel and doing yum updates. It does have cpanel kernelcare installed on it but other than that nothing special. Cpanel version is the most recent one. It just updated the other day. Centos 7.7.

What other info would help and I will try to get it?
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Chad Criswell.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #174985 by JoomlaWorks
Are you using the stock EasyApache4 setup? Or did you reconfigure it from scratch?

Alternatively, try this EA4 profile from Engintron: raw.githubusercontent.com/engintron/engintron/master/cpanel/EasyApache_Profiles/EA4/Engintron_EA4_2019_v1.json

---

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #175259 by James Riley
I discovered a similar issue today when trying to attach an MP3 to my Item. I manually fixed the problem by:
1) after uploading using the attachment screen, I renamed the file (using FTP) from .txt to .mp3 (attachment files are stored in /media/k2/attachments); and
2) editing the corresponding record in the ___k2_attachments mySQL table, changing the file extension on the file name from .txt to .mp3 as well.

I've only attached PDFs to my other articles recently, and have had no issues with the PDFs being renamed. I'm running of a Linux/Apache/cPanel server hosted by A2Hosting.com.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by James Riley. Reason: rewrote a bit for better clarity

More
3 years 11 months ago #175260 by JoomlaWorks

---