Keyword

K2 Sub-Category Ordering in Frontend Select Category pulldown

• Railer
  • Railer's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #176835 by Railer
Greetings,

I have a K2 Categories menu item type pulling K2 Items from a specific parent category. On that page above the list of K2 item titles is a pulldown menu with a list of the sub-categories.

I have changed the order of the sub-categories in the backend to the way I want them and they display in that order in the Select Category pulldown menu on the K2 Items page (backend), but they do not display in the correct order in the front-end pulldown as described above.

How do I get the front-end pulldown display in the same order? (Not by ID).

I have gone into the parent category and set Sub-Category Handling > Sub-Category Ordering to "Ordering". But it doesn't show up in the list in the specific order I arranged them in.

The parent category is not inheriting parameters from any other category. And the sub-categories are all set to inherit from the parent category. And caching is not enabled.

How do I get this to work?
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Railer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #176862 by JoomlaWorks
Can you upload a few screenshots of your settings in K2 categories and menu items please?

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Railer
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #176865 by Railer
Hi Fotis -- thanks for your reply. The categories in question are child categories of a single parent category and inherit the parameters of the parent. So in that parent, what sections of the categories "Display Settings" should I take a screenshot of?
It's a long series of panes. In the parent category, under Other Layout Options, Item Ordering is set to "Ordering"; in Sub-Category Handling, Sub-category Ordering is set to "Ordering". (Maybe I need to set each child category separately?)

In the Menu item, under Options, the Layout options for single category selection Item ordering is set to, "Inherit from Category"; Layout options for multiple category selection Select a template is set to: "Use Default"; Item Ordering is also set to "Default". Changing it to "Ordering" does not save, and reverts to "Default".

Is that enough information or do you need more, and if so, please let me know what to send?

It occurs to me that maybe I could create a custom K2 template override for my front-end K2 Categories menu page to accomplish this ordering of the pulldown select list items?

More
3 years 7 months ago #176880 by JoomlaWorks
Use a browser plugin for full page screenshots (e.g. gofullpage.com/ for Chrome, Firefox has native page screenshots if I recall correctly). Then snap the menu item's options for K2 (2nd tab) & the parent category's display settings (3rd tab). The plugin will snap the entire page, you don't need to scroll through. Upload them e.g. on imgur.com or Dropbox etc.

---

• Railer
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #176890 by Railer
Hi Fotis — Thanks for your reply. I've taken the screenshots which you specified. (Thanks for the tip on getting the full page in one shot! I used Handy Screebshot for Firefox.) There are already some template overrides for K2. Not sure if one if for this specific page, but if you want me to also upload them, please let me know. I didn't create them.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Railer. Reason: Added attachments

More
3 years 7 months ago #176895 by JoomlaWorks
The forum resizes images to 900px or so. So I can't really see the options correctly. Do you mind uploading them to some service like imgur.com (or similar) and sending me back the links please?

---

• Railer
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #176896 by Railer
The message window is stripping out my Hightail download link. And when I put it between code tags, it thinks it's spam and rejects it. Sent the link via your contact form. Hope that arrives intact.

More
3 years 7 months ago #176942 by JoomlaWorks
Let's wind things up a bit...

You originally said that "On that page above the list of K2 item titles is a pulldown menu with a list of the sub-categories."... How did you get that pulldown menu (I assume you mean drop-down)? Are you using the K2 Tools module?

---

• Railer
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #176944 by Railer
Hi Fotis --
Yes, it does look like there is a K2 Tools module on this page set to the Search Box module functionality. I've uploaded 2 screenshots showing what look like the panes related to the category pull-down. Please let me know if you need to see other panes in this module. I did try to set the category in the Category List (Menu) pane to the Resource Library parent category, and the order filter to "Ordering" but nothing changed so I reverted to the original settings shown. Caching is NOT enabled for this site.
Attachments:

More
3 years 7 months ago #176946 by JoomlaWorks
OK, so it's not really a K2 categories' or menu issue. And ordering should work for "Category List (Menu)" when selected. So double check if the root category that you use there does actually have the ordering you want in K2's Categories in the backend.

---