Keyword

Limit K2 item creation and displaying to some joomla usergroups

• Alberto Pastorelli
  • Alberto Pastorelli's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #178181 by Alberto Pastorelli
Hi, is it possible to restrict the ability to create items to some joomla usergroups?

I see the possibility to create K2 usergroups, but they don't seem to be related to joomla ACL

Also, I would like to display in frontend only items where the author is in a specific joomla usergroup

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #178182 by JoomlaWorks
K2 User Groups are separate because they are easier to setup (and also allow K2 to function the same from Joomla 1.5 up to 3.x).

You can either create one or more K2 User Groups that map to the same Joomla User Group (e.g. Registered) or create a separate K2 Group per Joomla User Group.

In any case, it's up to you how you set things up. K2 User Groups are only for frontend editing out-of-the-box, in other words, you can't control "view" rights by K2 User Group. This is were "regular" Joomla User Groups come in. So configure your editing setup between K2 & Joomla User Groups and finally assign certain Joomla User Groups to K2 Categories for viewing.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Alberto Pastorelli
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #178185 by Alberto Pastorelli
Thankyou Fotis, but how do I map K2 groups to Joomla usergroups?

Also, do you have any advice to make items hideden or unpublished based on the user group?
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Alberto Pastorelli.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #178197 by JoomlaWorks
You map Joomla users to existing K2 User Groups. You do that "en masse" in the K2 Users list.

As for your 2nd question, adjust the K2 User Group's permissions to disallow publishing K2 items (=new) but allow editing items that are already published (=already moderated). The latter is of course optional.

---
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by JoomlaWorks.

• Alberto Pastorelli
More
3 years 1 month ago #178217 by Alberto Pastorelli

Fotis wrote: You map Joomla users to existing K2 User Groups. You do that "en masse" in the K2 Users list.

Sorry you mean that it can only be done manually? I have a community with over 4000 registered users, and new registering every day, it would be impossible to add them manually to the K2 group

More
3 years 1 month ago #178230 by JoomlaWorks
There's an option to auto-assign new users to a pre-selected K2 User Group. You would just have to set "Enable K2 user profile" to yes so that K2 can extend the signup form with additional user details (e.g. gender, profile pic etc.).

For existing users you can just batch-move them easily in the K2 Users list in the backend.

---

• Alberto Pastorelli
More
3 years 1 month ago #178390 by Alberto Pastorelli
Thanks, but the point is I can't just give permission to every new registered uses: not all the new registered users will have permission to add and edit new items.
I have different user types based on their subscription levels (= different joomla groups), and just the users in the "top level" group will be allowed to publish their items.

Going through K2 configuration into Settings > Permissions I see the possibility to assign permissions to Joomla Groups. The descriptions states " Default permissions used for all content in this component.
" but it don't seem to work for items.

Only if create a K2 group then I can manage frontend permissions, but then I have the problem to manually assign new registered from the right joomla group to the K2 group.

I still don't really get why K2 is not just using the standard joomla usergroups, instead of creating a new grouping system, but anyway... could you advice any solution to use joomla groups or automate adding only certain users to the right k2 group?

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #178446 by JoomlaWorks
Use Joomla Groups to control what component users can access.

Use K2 User Groups to fine-tune their frontend editing permissions.

Since you control the signup process (and thus K2 cannot assign users to one of its groups by default), you'll have to programmatically assign new signups to a given K2 User Group if you want them to have frontend editing permissions.

K2 User Groups are much more flexible when it comes to frontend editing. Plus they work on Joomla 1.5 up to 3.x. Not every extension does that.

---