Keyword

!! Help with Simple RSS Custom Templates

• Sarah Allen
  • Sarah Allen's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #163713 by Sarah Allen
!! Help with Simple RSS Custom Templates was created by Sarah Allen
HI there,

I have Simple RSS Feed Reader installed on the local intranet of our organisation. We run the latest Joomla and I have just installed the latest version of Simple RSS Feed Reader.

I have successfully achieved two modules running separate feeds, but now need to create a custom template for one of them.

The first feed needs to run off the 'compact' template and the second feed needs custom styling. Yesterday I managed to create some custom styling and am ready to apply it to my second feed, but have an issue.

I created a new folder under /httpdocs/modules/mod_jw_srfr/tmpl/ and copied the files from the 'compact' folder into my new one. I then applied my custom changes to the new CSS file and set the new RSS feed module to use the new template.

All of that has worked successfully, however it seems that my original feed (running the 'compact' template) is using some of the styling from the new template even though it is set to 'compact'. E.g. Old RSS feed is using the 'compact' template, but showing elements of the new template (e.g. extra padding/margins, different fonts)...

NOTE: I have checked my CSS files and the 'compact' file is the original default version with no changes.
When I use Chrome to 'inspect' the old feed I can see that the old feed is pulling classes from the new template in another folder, but it is still set to 'compact' in the backend. This makes me think there is something I needed to do in the PHP files....

Is there something I need to change in the 'default.php' file of the new template so that the PHP files are 'separate' and/or don't call one another?

As this site is a INTERNAL site, there is NO WAY for me to add any links for you to access the site. It is a LOCAL site on our business network and cannot be accessed from outside our network.

I can post the CSS and PHP code of files here and I can post screenshots of my settings any anything else that might help resolve this issue, I just CANNOT provide any access to the site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sarah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #163728 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic !! Help with Simple RSS Custom Templates
The module can be overridden using Joomla!'s default process.
Move the files into your template's /html/mod_jw_srfr/TEMPLATE_YOU_ARE_GOING_TO_US folder.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Sarah Allen
More
6 years 7 months ago #163750 by Sarah Allen
Replied by Sarah Allen on topic !! Help with Simple RSS Custom Templates
Hi Krikor,

Thank you for getting back to me and thank you for the information.

I thought this might be the solution, but after (needing to create the mod_jw_srfr folder in my template's html folder and) moving the new template folder into .../html/mod_jw_srfr/MY_TEMPLATE and clearing both my browser and the website's caches, there is no change to my old feed or the template it is using.

The new feed and template are displaying correctly which is fine, but the old feed using the 'compact' template is still calling elements from the new template, even in the new location of my template's html folder.

Attached are some screenshots:

Screenshot 1
This shows the new feed using the new template.

Screenshot 2
This shows the old feed that should be using the 'compact' template, but is pulling elements of the new template (e.g. padding/margins, fonts)

Screenshot 3
This shows the new feed under Chrome 'inspection' calling the new template and correctly disabling the call for the 'compact' template

Screenshot 4
This shows the old feed under Chrome 'inspection' calling the new template instead of the 'compact' one and disabling the call for the 'compact' template elements - so it is basically calling the new template even though it is set to use the 'compact' template

Do you have any solutions for me?

Should the 'default.php' file for the new template be modified (as it is a copy of the 'compact' template's default.php file)?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated as I can't really keep going like this as I need to be able to modify each of my feeds with their own styling.

Thanks!
Sarah

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #163788 by Krikor Boghossian
The default.php should be included in your template override.

Can you send me screenshots of these modules' settings?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Sarah Allen
More
6 years 7 months ago #163795 by Sarah Allen
Hi Krikor,

Thanks for your reply. There is a defaul.php file with each template (the two original ones, plus my new template).

I copied the default.php file from the 'compact' template and placed it exactly as is with no changes into the new template folder. Should any modifications have been made to the copied default.php file?

Here are the screenshots you requested:

Screenshot 1
These are the settings for the feed using the new template

Screenshot 2
These are the settings for the feed using the 'compact' template

Thanks!
Sarah

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #163836 by Krikor Boghossian
Hello Sarah,

In theory no. In practise, if you are using the compact template, some CSS clashes might occur.
In your position I would alter the classnames in the modified file.

The settings look ok though.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Sarah Allen
More
6 years 7 months ago #163844 by Sarah Allen
Hi Krikor,

Thanks for getting back to me again. Are you able to give me a little more information on the altering the classnames?

Whilst I do have an ok knowledge of CSS and a very basic understanding of PHP, I'm not really sure how to go about altering something in this way without some guidance on what needs to be changed and what it should change to...

• Sarah Allen
More
6 years 7 months ago #163845 by Sarah Allen
I'm attaching the modified CSS code from the new template. Could you please tell me how I should further modify it so the two templates separate and don't interfere with each other...?
/**
 * @version    3.5
 * @package    Simple RSS Feed Reader (module)
 * @author     JoomlaWorks - https://www.joomlaworks.net
 * @copyright  Copyright (c) 2006 - 2016 JoomlaWorks Ltd. All rights reserved.
 * @license    GNU/GPL license: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
 */

/* Template: Compact */

/* Common */
a:active,
a:focus {outline:0;}
img {border:none;}
.clr {clear:both;height:0;line-height:0;display:block;float:none;padding:0;margin:0;border:0;}

/* Feed List */
div.srfrContainer {}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList {list-style:none;margin:0;padding:0 0 0px;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li {border-top:1px solid #ccc;padding:5px 4px;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li.srfrRow {}
	div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li.srfrRowIsEven {}
	div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li.srfrRowIsOdd {}

div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li a {text-decoration:none;line-height:120%;font-family:Raleway;display:block;font-weight:bold;margin:10px 0px;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li a span {display:none;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li a:hover {text-decoration:none;position:relative;z-index:1;font-family:Raleway;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li a:hover span {display:block;position:absolute;background:#fff;border:4px solid #ddd;padding:8px;top:4px;left:60px;width:226px;z-index:2;overflow:hidden;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li a:hover span b {}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li a:hover span b.srfrTitle {display:block;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li a:hover span b.srfrFeedSourcePopup {}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li a:hover span img.srfrImage {margin:4px auto;padding:2px;border:1px solid #ccc;display:block;}

div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li div.srfrFeedDetails {color:#999;margin: 11.5px 0 8.5px 0;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li div.srfrFeedDetails span.srfrFeedSource {}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li div.srfrFeedDetails span.srfrFeedSource a {display:inline;}
div.srfrContainer ul.srfrList li div.srfrFeedDetails span.srfrFeedItemDate {}

Thanks so much!
Sarah

• Sarah Allen
More
6 years 7 months ago #163846 by Sarah Allen
NOTE: I have just noticed the comment in the CSS -

/*Template: Compact*/

To my knowledge this wouldn't be causing an issue as the item is simply a comment, but please let me know if it should be changed.

Thanks,
Sarah

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #163863 by Krikor Boghossian
It won't cause any issues at all (the comment).
On the other since these modules share classes div.srfrContainer, ul.srfrList etc you might need to update the markup.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---