Keyword

www.ccemagonline.com

More
14 years 7 months ago #72874 by Jay D.
Replied by Jay D. on topic www.ccemagonline.com
I have the module working now on the home page. With my own template.

the only thing, is my links still point to:
domain.com/component/k2/item/4-test-test-test.html
where they should go to:
domain.com/gone-boarding/item/4-test-test-test.html

or:

domain.com/component/k2/item/3-the-lowdown-on-spitfire-bearings-burners.html
should go to:
domain.com/reviews/item/3-the-lowdown-on-spitfire-bearings-burners.html

Any idea on this?

And I'm going to give you a big fat link to your mag on my other high traffic site if you like, for giving me such a hand!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Kelsey Brookes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72875 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic www.ccemagonline.com
Hmmm, that's odd. Here's how I got the template working, with a simplified version of my code:

download it here

Basically this says that if the 'view' is 'frontpage' then output the code for the module position fp_article, otherwise output the code for the component.

A good little module that helps find out what variables are possible is MetaMod - assign it to a module position, make it visible and turn on debug mode. Even if you're not using some of its other totally excellent features, its debugging is really useful.

So, mod_k2_content is then assigned to that position, filtering just the category we want, showing just one item - the most recent item and only featured items.

One thought I've had as to why the SEF urls are showing up oddly for you is that you may not also have a menu item pointing to that K2 category. Now that I look closer, it's interesting to me to see what K2 has done with my SEF URLs.

The category filter for the module we're talking about is set to a category called 'break on through' *NOT* 'artists'.

However I have a main menu item pointing to the 'break on through' category - this menu item is called 'artists' so it *must* be pulling the name from there.

And yeah - happy to have a big fat link! ;)

More
14 years 7 months ago #72876 by Jay D.
Ok, so I am totally on the right track then. Yeah, so weird about the links. this is the last bit of the problem right now. On the Menu, it's going to a k2 category it looks like this:

boardersover30.com/index/item/4-test-test-test.html

where that should* be

boardersover30.com/gone-boarding/item/4-test-test-test.html (and that works because I can change it in the url box and it pulls the same link)

or

boardersover30.com/index/item/3-the-lowdown-on-spitfire-bearings-burners.html

should go to:

boardersover30.com/reviews/item/3-the-lowdown-on-spitfire-bearings-burners.html

Should I have the menu link item type point to somewhere else?

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72877 by Kelsey Brookes
Are you just using native Joomla SEF or a plugin? I'm just using the native Joomla SEF.

If you check the cce mag site, the 'artists' link is the menu item pointing to that category. It's definitely got a different formulation of links than your site - what settings are you using for your SEF?

More
14 years 7 months ago #72878 by Jay D.
I have never changed it. I just have all the SEF options on in the config file. I am using the native plugin for sure. So so weird.

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72879 by Kelsey Brookes
Yeah, me too.

SEF URLs can be weird at times. I've had plenty of issues with them resolving correctly and have had to turn everything off from time to time.

Sometimes this behaviour is also a result of the order in which menu items are created.

sh404 might be your answer. The user-definable URLs are pretty cool, tho I'm not using it for this project.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72880 by krmr
Replied by krmr on topic www.ccemagonline.com
hi, realy smartly done. I was trying to do a similar structire for a magazine, but then abandoned the whole subcats hierarchy couse i could not manage to display the articles from one sub category like yours: (such as Break on Through, Retrospective, etc) following one after the other, not messing with the primary/secondary order. How did you fought that?
Then my problem was that for each issue (which i created like a mean category) i had fixed subcategories (such as Break on Through, Retrospective, etc), and with k2 that does not copy categories it meant that the editor would need to create them from scratch for each issue again and again. Would you comment on this as well!
The third issue I had with this structure was that for an archive meu there was no way to keep the items within the issue no matter what date/month they were published in the issue.
So, last comment on this would be appreciated.

Kelsey Brookes said:Which links? The main menu at the top or for the links in the modules down the centre columns?
The main menu links don't link directly to articles, they link to a K2 category, which is set to display up to ten articles, with read-more's, etc.

The centre column links are using multiple versions of the mod_k2_content module with varying parameters. For example, each 'category block' (such as Break on Through, Retrospective, etc) uses three mod_k2_content modules plus the MetaMod module to achieve the style on the front page. Some are set to only show a certain number of links. One module shows only one featured link, another shows up to four links from that category that are NOT featured.

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72881 by Kelsey Brookes
Thanks for the compliment.

I'm not sure I understand all of your questions, but I'll do my best to answer:

1) Displaying multiple categories, but maintaining the article order per category:

I did this with multiple modules and the MetaMod module. Each category block on the front page consists of multiple modules displaying different views of the same content as per the rules in the mod_k2_content module

2 & 3) Multiple categories, reused for each issue, maintaining an issue archive
This was a point I considered carefully from the outset. I don't have each issue as a category with the magazine sections as subcategories. Each category is a parent-level category. I use K2's tagging system to tag each article with its issue. The 'Issues' menu simply aggregates all the articles tagged with the issue number.

One note on this - because the magazine is published quarterly, the exact time and date that articles are published are unimportant. Because the tag view has a fixed ordering (by date), it's important to create your articles in the right order. Or at least to be able to go back and reset the created and published dates to force the right order for the tag view.

Anyway, K2 is very flexible. There's some odd stuff that goes on, but it gives vastly more scope for complex layouts than core Joomla.

Hope that helps.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72882 by krmr
Replied by krmr on topic www.ccemagonline.com
hi, thanks for all insights. i will carefuly consider your approach to multiple k2.mods and metamod to order complex display. and your answers were exaclty what i asked.
i did in fact similar structure of the magazine like yours, but reversed. the magazine is a parent category. each issue is a category under the magazine, and the sections are tags assigned to the articles.
but this way i have a problem with creating a menu for the sections using the tagged items in category, for it uses generic layout not displaying the author.

in your magazine i see you don't give focus on the authors, you see the author only in an item-view, right? in my case it is a necessity to have the authors visible in all views, so now i wonder how to deal with this issue.
10x again

Kelsey Brookes said:Thanks for the compliment.
I'm not sure I understand all of your questions, but I'll do my best to answer:

1) Displaying multiple categories, but maintaining the article order per category:

I did this with multiple modules and the MetaMod module. Each category block on the front page consists of multiple modules displaying different views of the same content as per the rules in the mod_k2_content module

2 & 3) Multiple categories, reused for each issue, maintaining an issue archive
This was a point I considered carefully from the outset. I don't have each issue as a category with the magazine sections as subcategories. Each category is a parent-level category. I use K2's tagging system to tag each article with its issue. The 'Issues' menu simply aggregates all the articles tagged with the issue number.

One note on this - because the magazine is published quarterly, the exact time and date that articles are published are unimportant. Because the tag view has a fixed ordering (by date), it's important to create your articles in the right order. Or at least to be able to go back and reset the created and published dates to force the right order for the tag view.

Anyway, K2 is very flexible. There's some odd stuff that goes on, but it gives vastly more scope for complex layouts than core Joomla.

Hope that helps.

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72883 by Kelsey Brookes
How much author information do you want to display? Each article or extract on my front page gives an author attribution - just not a full photo, bio, etc. I'm not sure if the mod_k2_content can handle that, but the minimalist version was also my choice.