Keyword
Please note that official support for commercial extensions & templates is provided in the Subscriber Help Desk.
Support requests should ONLY be directed there and require an active subscription plan.
This forum board is to be used for archive purposes and knowledge exchange ONLY.

Performance Problems In Multi-Page Content Items

More
16 years 11 months ago #3283 by JoomlaWorks
Have you tested this locally to see how it behaves?

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Oleksiy Shevchukevych
  • Oleksiy Shevchukevych's Avatar Topic Author
More
16 years 11 months ago #3284 by Oleksiy Shevchukevych
Replied by Oleksiy Shevchukevych on topic Re: Performance Problems In Multi-Page Content Items
You mean css issue? I haven't tested it locally. But one thing that I've noticed is if I reduce the number of galleries in that multi page content item the problem disappears.

Cheetah

• Oleksiy Shevchukevych
More
16 years 11 months ago #3285 by Oleksiy Shevchukevych
Replied by Oleksiy Shevchukevych on topic Re: Performance Problems In Multi-Page Content Items
Ok, I found where the problem is. It looks like there are to many styles defined and IE just can't handle these:

<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid0.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}</style>
<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid1.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}</style>
<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid2.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}</style>
<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid33.sig .sig_cont {width:243px;height:360px;}</style>
<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid34.sig .sig_cont {width:470px;height:358px;}</style>

I think it's a bug in your mambot. Each sigid corresponds to one gallery. So in case of multi-page content item you should not output all sigids for every subpage. I.e the first sub page (www.boxingcoachmike.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=10000) should have just these sigids defined:

<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid0.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}</style>
<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid1.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}</style>

Please, let me know if you are going to fix it or if you can think of any work around.

Thanks
Cheetah

More
16 years 11 months ago #3286 by JoomlaWorks
I'm afraid this is the way Joomla works for multi-page content items. We can't do much about it. But you can try this. Since the pages I saw all have the same -more or less- thumb dimensions, I would recommend adding these width/height values as default in your plugin's parameters.  ;)

Then if you don't set the dimensions on all 20 galleries (!) but a few, then you won't get these issues in IE. Just a thought...

---

• Oleksiy Shevchukevych
More
16 years 11 months ago #3287 by Oleksiy Shevchukevych
I tried that. It still generates all those sigs and messes up in IE.

Cheetah

• Oleksiy Shevchukevych
More
16 years 11 months ago #3288 by Oleksiy Shevchukevych
Do you see any problem if I just remove sigids for that particular content item? I've removed sigid css definition and div tag and it works just fine.

Thanks
Cheetah

More
16 years 11 months ago #3289 by JoomlaWorks
Well, they were there for some reason... :D

If you remove them, then you will not be able to control dimensions on a per gallery basis.  ;)

---

• Oleksiy Shevchukevych
More
16 years 11 months ago #3290 by Oleksiy Shevchukevych
Ok, I found the solution. Instead of declaring <style> tag for each sigid you need to wrap them up in one single <style> tag. I.e. instead of having this:

<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid2.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}</style>
<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid33.sig .sig_cont {width:243px;height:360px;}</style>
<style type="text/css" media="all">#sigid34.sig .sig_cont {width:470px;height:358px;}</style>

, it should be this:

<style type="text/css" media="all">
#sigid0.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}
#sigid1.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}
#sigid2.sig .sig_cont {width:360px;height:290px;}
#sigid33.sig .sig_cont {width:243px;height:360px;}
#sigid34.sig .sig_cont {width:470px;height:358px;}
</style>

Can you provide a fix? It's really critical for me to get it working.

Thanks
Cheetah

More
16 years 11 months ago #3291 by JoomlaWorks
The plugin (all joomla plugins!) works like this:

- User visits page
- Page starts to render
- When "joomla" finds a plugin/mambot tag it processes it until the content item is rendered.

Now, each time the plugin tags are processed, this <style> tag is written. And it is written all over again, depending on how many plugin tags you have on your page. The css/js file calls are the same, they do not change. So we can tell joomla, "start the plugin processing, but if you find the SAME occurrence again, do not redisplay the css/js calls". Unfortunately, we cannot do the same for the <style> tags, in the way you mention. Cause the processing is done serially.

tags processed, style tag written

You cannot wrap all of them in <style>...</style>.

It's the way plugins work, which is what I told you in one of my messages earlier.

I can help you hack the plugin to not show the <style> tags at all. But you will not be able to add galleries with custom dimensions.

Let me know.

---

• Oleksiy Shevchukevych
More
16 years 11 months ago #3292 by Oleksiy Shevchukevych
I already hacked the plugin not to show <style> tags for sigids only for that specific content item page (so it doesn't affect galleries on othe pages). But it's still lookw weird in IE 7.0:

www.boxingcoachmike.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=10000

In Firefox it looks just fine. If you can help to shrink outer bound bar to the size of thubnail so it looks in IE the same way as in Firefox, it would be great. I can send you my current plugin_jw_sigpro.php if you like

Thanks
Cheetah