Keyword

What Happened to K2 3.0?

• Timothy Michel
  • Timothy Michel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Programming is a lot of work
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #141616 by Timothy Michel
What Happened to K2 3.0? was created by Timothy Michel
I have to migrate the old Joomla 3.0/K2 2.6.9 site to Joomla 3.4 because I need to reduce to a minimum the number of components, modules and plugins I am using because my load times are atrocious. I was going to use a couple of migration tools to move the content over to the new installation and I was wondering if I should just convert the K2 content to Joomla content and forget about K2. There is so much I like about K2 but I have to make the current site I am working on much leaner and meaner. The decision maker for me is whether or not there is going to be a K2 3.0, free version or pro version. Somehow v.2.7 fell off the map and I haven't heard anything about v. 3.0. I will make my decision of whether to keep; or jettison K2 tomorrow and would like some input to temper that decision.

Thanks, Tim
The topic has been locked.
  • Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #141629 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Hello Timothy,

I would suggest that at this point you used K2 2.6.9.
You will be able to update in the process.
You could also test 3.0 for compatibility with other extensions, just not on a production environment.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
  • Timothy Michel
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #141664 by Timothy Michel
Replied by Timothy Michel on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
OK, Joomla 3.5 will be the next major upgrade for Joomla and 3.4 was just released, so I would expect it will be another couple of months or perhaps this summer before Joomla 3.5 will be released. Is JoomlaWorks working with Joomla to get K2 3.0 ready for the release of Joomla 3.5. Being left in the dark isn't comfortable. I am also aware that the primary developers of Joomla are very ill right now, and that is slowing the progress of the Joomla releases:

During Late Dec 2014, Jan and early Feb 2015 there has been reduced support and updates from Joostrap due to founders and primary operators of the Joostrap.com site, Phil and Max, both being very sick.

Just before Christmas Phil had a recurrence of a serious old back injury and is still out of action in early February, almost two months later - still unable to sit and on a range of medicines and restrictions trying to get him recovered. Soon afterwards in early January I (Max) got a chest infection, which turned into pneumonia in both lungs ... and my brain and body haven't worked properly since ... but starting to recover from 11 Feb. Please bare with me while we continue recovering and catch up.

We're hoping to catch up with all support and get things back to normal ASAP

I got my load times down to 3.5 seconds just with the install of JOTCache, the Joomla System Cache replacement plugin, so I am resting a little easier right now.

I have to really address mobile, and right now K2 isn't the mobile friendliest Content Manager out of the box. This is the reason that I was looking forward to K2 3.0 because one of the primary design goals was to make it mobile friendly. I am also thinking about kicking Bootstrap, 2.3.2 or 3.3.2 to the curb, because of the huge load time overhead that represents.

Is K2 going to be embracing Bootstrap going forward, or is it going to provide that as an option, or is it going to implement LESS, jQuery/JavaScript in it's own fashion. I can get rid of Bootstrap in Joomla by just not including JHtml::_('bootstrap.framework'), will I be able to do that with K2 as well?

Thanks, Tim
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by Timothy Michel. Reason: Formatting Error
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #141671 by OptionAxiom
Replied by OptionAxiom on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
This really is getting rude. Can someone please just put out a small amount of information on K2 v3.

Over the process of waiting for this we have been given numerous dates, all of which have been missed. We were pointed at a github site that show work has essentially stopped on V3. Every time someone has a reasonable request for information you just say it can be done in the old version.

We don't want to be told about the old version. Most of us are probably using the old version. We want to have honest answers about version 3 that at this point just seems to be vaporware.

You know what, if it is not happening just tell us. I would respect that far more than this game you are playing.
  • Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #141699 by Krikor Boghossian
@Timothy Michel
Is K2 going to be embracing Bootstrap going forward, or is it going to provide that as an option, or is it going to implement LESS, jQuery/JavaScript in it's own fashion. I can get rid of Bootstrap in Joomla by just not including JHtml::_('bootstrap.framework'), will I be able to do that with K2 as well?

I think this has to do with the template itself.
You can use whatever Framework you want. I personally use Foundation or a lighter version of it, but this is completely up to you.

@OptionAxiom You will be notified when there are updates to V3.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
  • Timothy Michel
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #141738 by Timothy Michel
Replied by Timothy Michel on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Fair enough, K2 provides the server side processing and the template determines how that data is displayed, but K2 does make a considerable amount of display decisions, like how many columns the data are displayed in.

But really , I have to determine if I am going to continue with K2, because I have a lot of people that are getting really nervous about what is happening regarding world affairs and are looking for platforms where they can get their messages out to the public, and I have to make my decisions within a months time frame not years.

I understand the difficulty with developing Open Source as is evidenced by illness of the principle developers for Joomla and my personal experience, but regardless of setbacks the work has to go on..

Thanks, Tim
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #141739 by Yannis Sintos
Replied by Yannis Sintos on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Judging from the very limited activity in github i must say i am very concerned that V3 will not be out soon.
And unfortunatelly i need it immediatelly for very large project... :)
  • Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #141769 by Krikor Boghossian
Hello Yannis,
V3 is still under private dev
I do not have an ETA to announce yet.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #141860 by Yannis Sintos
Replied by Yannis Sintos on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Although i can't see how this might work in parallel, private and public dev, I am surely hoping that we will see results soon.
Thank you for the info you shared with us.
Yannis
  • Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #141879 by Krikor Boghossian
You 're welcome Yannis.
We will share more info in the near future.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---