Keyword

What Happened to K2 3.0?

More
7 years 3 months ago #159958 by ssnobben
Replied by ssnobben on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?

Rabi wrote: Why you do not try this:

extensions.joomla.org/extension/ekerlabs-power-content

Well lets see how well that project goes but looks interesting but need maybe more people too later to secure future and lasting development. But K2 seems to have lost some energy and focus here..hmmm

I also see SP Pagebuilder that is interesting www.joomshaper.com/page-builder with Helix framework

its a pity that all these ccks and frameworks people can not work with one focus Joomla only CCK/page builder framework..:(
The topic has been locked.
  • Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #160192 by Steven Trooster
Replied by Steven Trooster on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I agree, Power Content looks nice, but it's a one person project, which makes it a bit tricky to use on a large site. I'd rather put my bets on EasyBlog, I mentioned earlier.
On the other hand, Joomla 3.7 will have extra fields as an option with articles, so maybe Joomla itself will become an alternative for K2.
More
7 years 1 month ago #160839 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
So - I came back to this post again, now a few months later, to see if any progress had been made.

Still showing 47 issues here: github.com/getk2/k2-v3-dev-build/issues

Only 10 of those have been added in the last year. The remainder have been around for several - just the first page has issues back in 2015 on it. Come on devs: make an announcement about the progress, the death, or something.

As usual - no new blog post, no new version, no participation in the thread to at least let the community know what is going one, no new commits, no updates whatsoever. Last blog post was August of 2016. If regular businesses left that much time between posts - even if not to announce the release of 3.0 but just to inform about progress or something - people would think they went out of business. And that is still what appears to be the case here with the deadlines being so vastly missed, it's hard to understand that the K2 project is still alive at all.

I have seen multiple versions of Joomla itself, several new revisions (albeit nothing amazing) of Zoo, and I just signed up for EasyBlog to check it out and see how it works and in the very short time I've been a member there, they have updated that system twice - one update being fairly significant.

What IS going on?
More
7 years 1 month ago #160844 by yannick berges
Replied by yannick berges on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
i think with new field in j3.7 k2 is dead ...
if you want powerfull CCK i recommend FLEXIcontent
  • Ronny Van Der Borght
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #161335 by Ronny Van Der Borght
Replied by Ronny Van Der Borght on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?

yannick berges wrote: i think with new field in j3.7 k2 is dead ...
if you want powerfull CCK i recommend FLEXIcontent

I'm not surprised you 'recommend Flexicontent' as you are the Flexicontent developer. Not very nice.
Anyway, I went to the dutch Joomla conference last weekend, saw the new 'custom fields' option of joomla 3.7 working and I must say: still nowhere near k2's functionality. In my unbiased opinion I can definitely say for now: stick to k2. Even in version 2.7.1 still the better option.
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #161336 by yannick berges
hello i am not dev of flexicontent but realy you can't compare FLEXIcontent and k2..... or think to try it
i am working with k2 for one project .... many many bug, 2.7.1 isn't stable, not com_content compatible
field are very basic we always need to paid for any plugin ...
i realy think that custom field of j3.7 are already at same level then k2
just about FLEXIContent
galerie field => inside
search and multi faced => inside
multi type and multicategory => inside
cascading field => inside
groupe field with multi value => inside
1 universal module to create all other => inside
socail sharing =>inside
googlemap module with filtering => inside
all for free ... just like FLEXIcontent and SEBlod if you want powerfull option need to learn powerfull tool
k2 is good only with many addon and template compatibility
that my opnion i didn't have anything to sell with flexicontent just free sharing opinion
  • Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 1 week ago #161341 by Steven Trooster
Replied by Steven Trooster on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
If you're looking for a solution with just extra fields, wait a few weeks and go for Joomla 3.7. I've tested it and it's way more powerful than de K2 extra fields or extra fields from any other cck I've seen. (Field types can been expanded in the future with extra plugins, so an extra field can contain bitterly anything)
If your looking for author bio's, find an user-extension. And use core Joomla articles
If you just want comments on articles, find a plugin. And use core Joomla articles
If you want article image handling, well Joomla has a realy bad media manager. (Joomla 4 will improve that) Maybe stick with K2 or move on.
If you want versioning of text, go for Joomla core articles
If you want modules that show articles in various ways, go for Joomla core
If you want all of the above, either stick with K2 and cross your fingers it will work on subsequent new Joomla versions, or choose an other cck.

By any means: make a plan to opt out of K2 before Joomla 4 end of this year. There isn't going to be a K2 version 3. Sorry to say, but it's over. And there's no guarantee K2 will get security updates or run on Joomla 4.
More
7 years 1 week ago #161360 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Regarding this: If you want article image handling, well Joomla has a realy bad media manager. (Joomla 4 will improve that) Maybe stick with K2 or move on.

I use JoomUnited's DropPics for this. Easy to create a category/gallery and add all images from there to a blog post/content items, either one image at a time or the whole gallery and it's WAY easier than the wacky "zip file" of images that K2 needs.

Zoo is working well. Easy Blog is working well (though at a price and some complexity and not as flexible overall, but much more featured for blog anyway). Joomla Core is working well, but need author and comment options for real comparison.

In the end, for a blog, extra fields are not really needed anyway.

Since there is no developer input here, it's been another year this month since the last "push", and there is no new version, it must indeed be a dead project.
More
7 years 1 week ago #161365 by piet
Replied by piet on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?

Steven Trooster wrote: If you're looking for a solution with just extra fields, wait a few weeks and go for Joomla 3.7. I've tested it and it's way more powerful than de K2 extra fields or extra fields from any other cck I've seen. (Field types can been expanded in the future with extra plugins, so an extra field can contain bitterly anything)
If your looking for author bio's, find an user-extension. And use core Joomla articles
If you just want comments on articles, find a plugin. And use core Joomla articles
If you want article image handling, well Joomla has a realy bad media manager. (Joomla 4 will improve that) Maybe stick with K2 or move on.
If you want versioning of text, go for Joomla core articles
If you want modules that show articles in various ways, go for Joomla core
If you want all of the above, either stick with K2 and cross your fingers it will work on subsequent new Joomla versions, or choose an other cck.

By any means: make a plan to opt out of K2 before Joomla 4 end of this year. There isn't going to be a K2 version 3. Sorry to say, but it's over. And there's no guarantee K2 will get security updates or run on Joomla 4.

Hello,

and for the image field, what do you propose ?

With K2 you can add and change easily the image. And when you decide to change the size of image in frontend (large, small, etc,...) it is easy.
If you have a tool like this in Joomla whitout K2, I'll take it.

Regard.
More
7 years 1 week ago #161368 by yannick berges
you can do more more more ...
multiple upload on same drag and drop
4 levels of size with original file respect
crop or fit by size
watermark by size
4 galerie JS (with specific loading for mobile)
admin description alt image name etc
change order by simple drag and drop in form
you can slect size of item depending view (category or item)
etc