Keyword

What Happened to K2 3.0?

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 6 months ago #147865 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Hello Petar,

The beta version has been available for quite some time actually:
github.com/joomlaworks/k2-v3-dev-build

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #147874 by Blind Light
Replied by Blind Light on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I am going to say something positive. I think the really big deal here will be the pro version. I doubt the 3.0, for I did use the beta, is going to change your life. I am really curious what extras will be with pro. Some nice category modules would be cool.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Blind Light. Reason: because I'm an idiot
More
8 years 6 months ago #147882 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I'm just as keen to get my hands on the final of v3 as anyone, but you could all consider grabbing the beta that's been publicly available for quite a while and start working with that.

It's quite stable, although it does have some minor issues.

But the really important thing is you could be contributing to getting the final out the door by submitting issues.

At this stage, apart from Lefteris and Krikor, there's only about five or six of us actively submitting issues.
More
8 years 6 months ago #147883 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Krikor,
No offence intended, but this kind of response

The beta version has been available for quite some time actually:

is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. It says that you take no responsibility for still not having a release version available for download. It says quite clearly on that GitHub page not to use it for production and recently, you (joomlaworks) have said things like "the front end needs work". Well, the front end is the part users see, it's the part we work on to make templates, and if the back end is done but the front end is not, that is not terribly useful.

Again - this is about expectation setting, not just about having the newest version. I really don't want to build a new site with K2 v 2.x when v3 is supposed to be done "any time now". If I spend a bunch of time building out templates for K2 stuff and then v3 comes out with a template system that is different and causes me to have to redo them, I might rather use a different component than K2 to just avoid this problem.

This really shouldn't be that hard to understand, especially when it has been so long coming and so many times missed.

If I missed deadlines like this on websites for my clients (paying or otherwise), I'd have a huge reputation problem! I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Is it a lot to ask for an ACTUAL release date?
More
8 years 6 months ago #147884 by Kelsey Brookes
I don't disagree they could be better at communicating - it's definitely frustrating. I'm using K2v3 for a project at the moment after being told it'd be released at JoomlaDay Brasil and it's not looking like the release is going to make my deadline for delivering the project.

But it was my decision to proceed with v3 rather than 2.6 and I accept that. It just means that when it is released I'm almost certainly going to have to do a bit of extra work to get it up to scratch.

That said - it's worth trying that beta. Almost everything from existing K2 front-end templates work exactly as they always have. Krikor can supply the new WIP front-end templates if you want additional functionality and there's a couple of bits and pieces that fix the few minor problems you'll encounter with current templates. I think there's only one issue I have that I've had to resolve with custom code.
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #147916 by Sean Carney
Replied by Sean Carney on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I hope this is not too dumb of a question but how do I install the beta on a test site. I certainly would like to play with it. :-)

Another odd question. How can I add a photo to the icons that display with my messages here in this forum?
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Sean Carney.
More
8 years 6 months ago #147923 by Kelsey Brookes
Just go to the github repository here:

Click the 'download .zip' button and install via the Joomla installer.
More
8 years 6 months ago #147972 by Aidan Coughlan
Replied by Aidan Coughlan on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Hi,

I've been dropping into the Joomlaworks website occasionally for months hoping for some update on K2 version 3.0. I've never used K2 before, but was considering moving articles on our site from Easyblog to K2 for content (blogs+other uses), and didn't want to do that while V3 was imminent. I can see now that there is little certainty about when V3 will be ready for release, but I'm wondering more about what it will contain/look like when it is released.
  • Is it so different to K2 version 2.0+ ? Is there any information about what;s included in the V3.0 release, and demo videos etc.
  • Does anybody know if there are slides form the Joomladay conference - was it actually presented there, and if so, are the slides available anywhere in English ?
  • What are the reports from beta users ... is K2 V3.0 going to be worth the wait - are there serious problems contributing to the delays. I'm wondering if there are technical or other problems we are unaware of, and if there is a possibility that K2 v3 may never gain traction as a result ? If so, even V2 would seem like a wrong move?

best regards & thanks.
Aidan
More
8 years 6 months ago #147974 by Kelsey Brookes
I've been testing the beta extensively - I've been using it in the development of a large project because I didn't want to be locked into v2 for the duration of this site's life.

For most users v3 won't be a revolution.

But if you work with template overrides and extraFields, it's definitely worth the switch.

Just the ability to have multiple extrafield groups assigned per category, or to scope the extrafields to items, categories, etc, is extremely welcome.

The old squeezebox modals are gone, thank jeebus.

The new data layer makes for some super interesting possibilities in terms of serious customisation.

The ability to create your own extraField types? Mindblowing - absolutely 100% worth the price of entry if this was the only thing that was different in v3.

It feels faster on the frontend.

The backend looks better and there's some nice new features in there, but I actually think the usability has gone backwards on that front.

So mostly a positive experience. The beta is stable enough that it's usable right now - although you'll need to fix a few problems yourself (limiting character counts on introtext for search/tags/authors isn't in place yet so you'll have to do it in the code).

I too am feeling the frustration of the delays, particularly at this last hurdle, but I'm optimistic that the release is going to be fantastic, when it arrives.
More
8 years 6 months ago #147975 by lykaios
Replied by lykaios on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?

Kelsey Brookes wrote: I've been testing the beta extensively - I've been using it in the development of a large project because I didn't want to be locked into v2 for the duration of this site's life.

For most users v3 won't be a revolution.

But if you work with template overrides and extraFields, it's definitely worth the switch.

Just the ability to have multiple extrafield groups assigned per category, or to scope the extrafields to items, categories, etc, is extremely welcome.

The old squeezebox modals are gone, thank jeebus.

The new data layer makes for some super interesting possibilities in terms of serious customisation.

The ability to create your own extraField types? Mindblowing - absolutely 100% worth the price of entry if this was the only thing that was different in v3.

It feels faster on the frontend.

The backend looks better and there's some nice new features in there, but I actually think the usability has gone backwards on that front.

So mostly a positive experience. The beta is stable enough that it's usable right now - although you'll need to fix a few problems yourself (limiting character counts on introtext for search/tags/authors isn't in place yet so you'll have to do it in the code).

I too am feeling the frustration of the delays, particularly at this last hurdle, but I'm optimistic that the release is going to be fantastic, when it arrives.

Hello, ty for your input. Do you have any experience of ZOO? If you can compare v3.0 and Zoo will be awesome, i am thinking if i will wait for v3.0 for a Movies Site i am preparing or go for ZOO. Ty in advance!