Keyword

What Happened to K2 3.0?

• Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #151262 by Steven Trooster
Replied by Steven Trooster on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I was having hopes that somewhere behind the scenes there would be some secret and active devlopment. But I must agree: when looking at the Github graph, it seems that there has been hardly any activity since December 2014 and that there are only two active developers. This is not a good sign. I have no idea what's happening at Joomlaworks, but I think I'm going to look into alternatives.
github.com/joomlaworks/k2-v3-dev-build/graphs/contributors
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 2 months ago #151315 by Mark Schultz
Replied by Mark Schultz on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I love what K2 has done for Joomla, we've been using K2 for 4+ years. But the fork in the road has arrived. With no communication from JoomlaWorks, we just don't know what we're dealing with. Good luck all, hope it works out for the K2 community....

Steven Trooster wrote: I was having hopes that somewhere behind the scenes there would be some secret and active devlopment. But I must agree: when looking at the Github graph, it seems that there has been hardly any activity since December 2014 and that there are only two active developers. This is not a good sign. I have no idea what's happening at Joomlaworks, but I think I'm going to look into alternatives.
github.com/joomlaworks/k2-v3-dev-build/graphs/contributors

• Zdeněk Štěpánek
More
8 years 2 months ago #151317 by Zdeněk Štěpánek
Replied by Zdeněk Štěpánek on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
K2 is dead for me. And you know what, I am glad, because there is a Seblod and that is truly real CCK for Joomla! I will not use K2 even if there is gonna be a new K2 V3. Bye bye K2, for good.
More
8 years 2 months ago #151322 by Michael Yaeger
Replied by Michael Yaeger on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Maybe we could ask someone in Brazil what happened...seems they are the only ones who really know. :-/
www.joomlaworks.net/blog/item/259-k2-v3-0-to-be-officially-unveiled-in-joomladay-brasil-2015
More
8 years 2 months ago #151326 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
@Michael Yaeger: That is a good idea. But if it someone knew, wrote would previously. Uncertainty and long waiting is very undignified. We just wanted know, what happened. They are afraid?

K2 was a unique extension, at least for me. But I waited a really long time. The last remnants of trust are gone.
  • Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151327 by Steven Trooster
Replied by Steven Trooster on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
@Mark Schultz That brings me to an idea: I don't know what license K2 has, but maybe some group of people could fork K2 into a new component?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Steven Trooster.
More
8 years 2 months ago #151359 by Simon C
Replied by Simon C on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?

Steven Trooster wrote: @Mark Schultz That brings me to an idea: I don't know what license K2 has, but maybe some group of people could fork K2 into a new component?

K2 is licensed under the GPL v2, so it is open source and anyone is at liberty to contribute to it or create a fork of it. The license document is provided with the source code, so if you have a copy of K2 you only need to look at the files you already have to find that out.

The source code (including the license document) is hosted on Github here: github.com/joomlaworks/k2, from where you can easily fork it if you want to.
More
8 years 2 months ago #151360 by lykaios
Replied by lykaios on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Its pretty obvious to me, that the company due to the problems we face in Greece in the last months, closed or having economical problems. I consider this project dead. It's something that you can easily understand it by the lack of updates. Whatever the reason of the delay would be, they could easily just post here and say that 3.0 will be released within 2016 or 2017. They didn't shared anything about it, so for me this project is dead. And Thnx god it happened before they charge someone with their upcoming premium service. Just think the possibility to have given them money and now wait for a simple reply.

Project is dead
More
8 years 2 months ago #151486 by Paulo Ries
Replied by Paulo Ries on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Hello I'm from Brazil. One of the Joomla Day Brazil 2015 organizers received two members JoomlaWorks for the official launch of K2V3. very special people that have added a lot to our event.

In the lecture, they said it would take two weeks to release the new pack. After all, they had to return to Greece and finalize some details.

Something happened after that. We are unaware. (And a little worried)

We have been fairly charged for having a launch, which was not actually released. Many people ask this, but we are unanswered.

What I know is that the team was working hard on a complete overhaul of JoomlaWorks, as we talked on the blog. This would include new sites for all services, and new versions of all extensions. Also, they would open the market for Wordpress. But so far we have no feedback.

I personally am K2 user for a long time and I am also looking forward to the final version and official 3.

Given this information gap, I have chosen not to use the current version of K2 in new projects because they do not know if we will have compatibility when out an update, or if we have support within a few months.

I hope we have news soon.
  • Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #151487 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Hello Paulo,

Nice talking to you again, I hope you and your wife are good.
It was a really nice experience in Brazil.

Unfortunately there were a few setbacks. I will not comment on this on this forum since people will be on my throat if I mention a date.

I am really sad to hear this from you but I assure that you will continue to have support no matter what happens.

I have personally commented many times on compatibility but since this is a huge thread my answers have been lost.

Using K2 2.6.9 or 2.7 ensures that you will be able to update to 3.0 seamlessly. I cannot however be sure about other K2 extensions but there will a 100% working upgrade method.

As for support, we answer every question on the forum (the English one), as you know my Portuguese is really really bad.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)