Keyword

Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?

More
12 years 8 months ago #98107 by Chris James
Replied by Chris James on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Warrick isn't the last... I also had an affair with K2... She was after all so complete, so stable, flexible and just plain sexy... Now she has let her self go and although I still love her I'm just not getting anything out of the relationship either, so, with a tear in my eye I must also move on. I wish her the best of luck but we just don't seem to communicate or want the same things anymore...k2: You're dumped.

Rashid Lakhlu said:

another fan lost =(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #98108 by Rashid Lakhlu
Replied by Rashid Lakhlu on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
nooooooooo..... dun leave me here all alone!!!!11

Chris James said:
Warrick isn't the last... I also had an affair with K2... She was after all so complete, so stable, flexible and just plain sexy... Now she has let her self go and although I still love her I'm just not getting anything out of the relationship either, so, with a tear in my eye I must also move on. I wish her the best of luck but we just don't seem to communicate or want the same things anymore...k2: You're dumped.

Rashid Lakhlu said:

another fan lost =(

More
12 years 8 months ago #98109 by Mark Foster
Replied by Mark Foster on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Well I'm still here for now!

Just started another project with 1.5 and K2 as it does the job so well

I'm still hoping they can pull something decent out the bag for 1.7 but its' getting critical now

More
12 years 8 months ago #98110 by Rashid Lakhlu
Replied by Rashid Lakhlu on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
They will for sure, since some of their partners like gavick release their extensions with 2.5 support

the only problem so far is time....

i have fixed few critical bugs for k2 on j1.7 but cant manage get the Category linking to work when enabling sh404 =(

More
12 years 8 months ago #98111 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
@Rashid If you havent, please put the bug fixes you made in the report bugs section.

Thanks for your good work

More
12 years 8 months ago #98112 by Rashid Lakhlu
Will do so tomorrow evening after work, its a night time at my place

Whats been done:

1) made k2 seacrh function to work on joomla core search

2) little css fixes, (had some probs with pixellove template with k2 2.5)

3) fixed the problem when registred users couldnt comment when "Registred users to comment" function is on

4) fixed the search according to tags function

To do:

1) sh404 category linking integration

2) tag cloud

William White said:

@Rashid If you havent, please put the bug fixes you made in the report bugs section.

Thanks for your good work

More
12 years 8 months ago #98113 by Chris James
Replied by Chris James on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
I'd love to stick around Rashid... But lack of official comment has just made many of us twitchy as our own businesses USED to rely on K2 (see older comments) and are exposed to a degree by this lack of 'support'.

I may come back IF it's ever sorted but why bother when i have learned a new and (currently) superior system.
Rashid Lakhlu said:

nooooooooo..... dun leave me here all alone!!!!11
Chris James said:

Rashid Lakhlu said:

another fan lost =(

More
12 years 8 months ago #98114 by KLM Graphics
Replied by KLM Graphics on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Chris,

Do tell what have you found that is superior? I hope that along with being better than K2 it is actually supported or at the very least not so ignorantly put together that I need 40 hours of dedicated time just to learn how to muddle through the parameters that are there because the developer obviously has no vision?

Like you K2 has left me with a bad taste and I am tired of the non-existent support that I get with it. I guess when the developer hides behind the "It is free so we don't need to support it" clause this is exactly what we should expect. However I too need a solution that works and since K2 has always had bugs that never got fixed I dont see any reason to stay around to see if they have been fixed for 1.7 which I would imagine since the developers did not see any reason to fix them for 1.5 I highly doubt anything is going to change EVER with this half baked extension.

So please share with us what you are looking at as a viable solution so those of us who want to get on with our businesses can stop lurking in the shadows of the K2 forum hoping for some sign of life from these developers?

More
12 years 8 months ago #98115 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
From memory, Chris was looking at Zoo for smaller projects, but Seblod CCK for more long-term larger projects.

Previous comments on the two have summed up that Zoo is more like K2, has great documentation and very very poor support. Seblod on the other hand is a lot harder to get started with and works in a manner that extends the core of Joomla to enable capabilities similar to K2. 

I too am worried about K2 and am looking down the barrel of having to switch. I've written several reasonably popular blog posts on K2, including integrating Disqus. It's been a fantastic solution and something that I've deployed on almost every client site in the last few years.

Although I deliberately avoided 1.6, I want to get started on 1.7 - a lot of extension devs are supporting it and it's now past time to start working with it. I've got a young family and was forced to rebuild my business from scratch 18 months ago. I don't have time to learn additional platforms or extensions just for the fun of it. If I am forced to leave K2, it'll be for good.

And for Joomlaworks that means no more purchases of SIG Pro, or Frontpage Slideshow or any other other extensions I've been purchasing for clients until now.

Ironic that they've finally made Frontpage Slideshow compatible with K2 (it's been what, 2 or 3 years now?!?!) and we're all likely jumping ship.

Kevin Morrison said:

Chris,

Do tell what have you found that is superior? I hope that along with being better than K2 it is actually supported or at the very least not so ignorantly put together that I need 40 hours of dedicated time just to learn how to muddle through the parameters that are there because the developer obviously has no vision?

Like you K2 has left me with a bad taste and I am tired of the non-existent support that I get with it. I guess when the developer hides behind the "It is free so we don't need to support it" clause this is exactly what we should expect. However I too need a solution that works and since K2 has always had bugs that never got fixed I dont see any reason to stay around to see if they have been fixed for 1.7 which I would imagine since the developers did not see any reason to fix them for 1.5 I highly doubt anything is going to change EVER with this half baked extension.

So please share with us what you are looking at as a viable solution so those of us who want to get on with our businesses can stop lurking in the shadows of the K2 forum hoping for some sign of life from these developers?

More
12 years 8 months ago #98116 by Chris James
@Kevin

See Kelsey's response... He sums it up nicely on my behalf (thanks Kelsey).

@Lance

Your point is of course valid, but this does not (in my opinion) detract from the fact that other developers ARE moving forward and many extensions are not as fundamental (dare I say crucial) to making Joomla the ultimate system.

As well as Joomla I also use Wordpress and Magento for projects depending on requirement and in general I find although updates and new versions for both systems are fairly 'regular' anyone that is SERIOUS about it's users/followers stay up to date and develop their own products to keep up.

As I have said here before... It is the lack of 'Official' comment that I think worries users (like myself) and gives the appearance of not being bothered. These guys are not 100% opensource and several great COMMERCIAL mods/components/scripts so it's not like they are not aware of the need for their efforts.

I'm sure that JoomlaWorks is working on K2, and on their own schedule and they've said they'll release it when it's ready.

I sincerely hope your faith is rewarded (SOON). I can't run a business on faith.

The good news for me is that K2 has exposed to me a weakness in my own business i.e. that I should not RELY on any single solution (mod/component) to do a job.

Kevin Morrison said:

Chris,