Keyword

Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?

More
12 years 8 months ago #98027 by Chris James
Replied by Chris James on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
I don't think we're being hasty Paul... A 'beta' version is no good for a production site so our hands are tied and we are now at Joomla 1.7 (admittedly 1.6 had a short shelf life) but still no movement or INFORMATION (other than we were initialy told K2 would never be avaialable for J1.6).

I (for one) can't say to clients (potential clients):

"There is a really great system that makes your site very powerful and it can work like a magazine/blog/store but sadly the developers are way behind the core development so you can't have it, even though i initially recommended it, so now we'll either have to wait an UNSPECIFIED time, use an old and soon to be unsupported version (J1.5) or use something else."

I think the general frustration here is that while we (the users) appreciate that this very powerful system that is given freely; Nobody appears to be keeping us up to date with lead-times etc. Which leads to wondering if we should commit to using the product in future or skip off and try another system.

i would love to continue with K2 but now i have my doubts that it is worth waiting and i have several sites in production that require that great K2 function...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 8 months ago #98028 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Joomla 1.7 (STS) - EOL - Feb 2012 and Joomla 1.5 (LTS) - EOL - Apr 2012 and come Feb 2012, the current versions will still be Joomla 1.5 and the new Joomla 1.8 (LTS - Should release in Jan 2012) More info here . So we can still use Joomla 1.5 with K2 till Apr 2012 :D

Simon at getk2.org said this - "Delays have been due to making sure K2 and Joomla ACL work nicely together." Read Here

So chill guys, they're working extra hard here so that people like you and me can still use this excellent component.

As i said before.. "All we need is just a little patience..." GNR

K2 Rocks \m/

More
12 years 8 months ago #98029 by Chris James
Replied by Chris James on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Hi Kannan

Personally I have much faith and paitence... But as you're probably aware - the business world does not.i just can't tell client(s)

"It wil be fine but you must wait 6 months or have an out of date system in place until then and then i will update (rebuild) if for you using the new version assuming there are no compatability issues"

I would really love to continue with K2 as it is great... And i really appreciate the work/time etc that has gone into building it. Sadly though market forces dictate in any (technology driven) business: if you fail behind you will never be able to catch-up.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 8 months ago #98030 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Hi Chris James,

We've had great plugins and components from these folks since 2006 and i believe we will still have it in future. It's just been few months and we're already reading comments like as though Morpheus is in front of us and forcing us to choose the pills :D

Personally and without being disrespectful, i don't think i will loose client(s) just because i can't upgrade to the latest version of Joomla and K2. I normally give options to the client and decide what to use according to their needs.

We're all K2 users and we're here as a community and ataaw :) If you've decided to move on then great but i will stick around a bit longer.

K2 Rocks \m/

More
12 years 8 months ago #98031 by Chris James
I agree with the general point of your response... And YES the modules etc have been fantastic. However, although i also offer clients choice based on the best information available (to me) at the time, I also feel it's a little redundant to give them a system that is out of date before it's even installed AND potentially has to be rebuilt in just a few months (alhtough it may be better for my bank balance).

Let's face it... I doubt even I directly would lose a client based on the fact they can't use K2 because in most cases we (as professionals) are hired to do a job that the client is most probably naive of (or they would probably would not require our services). BUT i think the main issue for most here is the not knowing... when (if ever) the non-beta K2 for Joomla 1.6+ will be released.

More than one of my current clients needs dictate use of a good Joomla CCK... And i can't hold them off endlessly waiting for the holy grail (which K2 once was). As a result i personally DO have to choose the pill... Do i find/learn a new CCK system

or

Do i install an old system only to have to do it again in the future (for which i just don't have the time)

If i didn't subscribe to the ataaw ethic i wouldn't even have commented in the first place... But my business (currently) doesn't run on hope ;-)

Kannan Naidu said:

i don't think i will loose client(s) just because i can't upgrade to the latest version of Joomla and K2. I normally give options to the client and decide what to use according to their needs. 

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 8 months ago #98032 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Yes, i agree with the not knowing when it will be released too. There should be some announcement but it's all in the hand of The Oracle himself :D

As for your pill option :) We all should find and learn more than one CCK to be versatile. :D

BUT i think the main issue for most here is the not knowing... when (if ever) the non-beta K2 for Joomla 1.6+ will be released. 

K2 Rocks \m/

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 8 months ago #98033 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Hi Warrick van den Heever,

Since you've swallowed it, just sit tight and see how deep the rabbit hole goes :D. Just kidding. Yup, i believe people would definitely pay a sum to use K2.

Warrick van den Heever said:

I already had to swallow the pill and it was a hard pill to swallow. I keep coming back with the hope that K2 has been resurrected from the grave it dug itself. If they would just charge a small fee to use this cck they would be able to pay themselves and stop with the excuses. I believe K2 was that good that people would probably pay $20 to use and support this project.
Kannan Naidu said:
Hi Chris James,

We've had great plugins and components from these folks since 2006 and i believe we will still have it in future. It's just been few months and we're already reading comments like as though Morpheus is in front of us and forcing us to choose the pills :D

Personally and without being disrespectful, i don't think i will loose client(s) just because i can't upgrade to the latest version of Joomla and K2. I normally give options to the client and decide what to use according to their needs.

We're all K2 users and we're here as a community and ataaw :) If you've decided to move on then great but i will stick around a bit longer.

K2 Rocks \m/

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 8 months ago #98034 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Zoo 2.4 is ready for Joomla 1.7 but not sure not sure about Seblod.

Warrick van den Heever said:
I wish there where other cck's Seblod,zoo is also not ready. I hope Joomla eventually come standard with a cck. It will make Joomla so powerful.
Kannan Naidu said:
Yes, i agree with the not knowing when it will be released too. There should be some announcement but it's all in the hand of The Oracle himself :D

As for your pill option :) We all should find and learn more than one CCK to be versatile. :D

BUT i think the main issue for most here is the not knowing... when (if ever) the non-beta K2 for Joomla 1.6+ will be released. 

K2 Rocks \m/

More
12 years 8 months ago #98035 by Chris James
I looked at Zoo this morning... Not sure yet but i may give it a go.

And yes more than 1 CCK may be useful but as i already work with joomla, Wordpress, Modx and Magento, raise a family and there is only so much time in a day to work, repond to threads ;-) and learn new stuff

if only we could just plug-in and upload to learn...

Kannan Naidu said:

• BNR Investment Group
More
12 years 8 months ago #98036 by BNR Investment Group
Replied by BNR Investment Group on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Here's the problem - K2 is such a great tool that it's being used by many professional developers and designers. Some of us have invested quite a bit in to K2 by committing to using K2 on client sites and developing extensions and plugins to work with K2. I've personally contributed 4 free GPL extensions for K2. I am heavily invested and would like to see K2 succeed.

However, I cannot tell a client that I am going to have to charge them to upgrade their site in April because I can't use the latest version of Joomla and K2 today. That is simply not an acceptable answer to someone paying thousands of dollars for a website. I also have to have an upgrade path for all of my other clients already on 1.5+K2. I can't wait until April to start upgrading them, I have to start now in order to have time to upgrade all of the sites before 1.5 EOL.

Six months ago it was an easy decision, wait until K2 v2.5 comes out then start upgrading. Today, it's not that easy. With no sign of a v2.5 stable release we have to have a solution. For a company that supports dozens of clients it's not as simple as just use another CCK until K2 is ready. There is a reason companies buy all the same brand and model computers for every employee, it's easier to support when everything is the same. Once we make the switch to another CCK, it will be a pain but we'll do it for every site that needs a CCK. It cost more money to support multiple CCKs.

That is going to start happening more and more, which is costing the K2 project not just users but also developers that contribute to this project. I'm in a really tough position right now because I can't afford to wait any longer. Clients to want to hear excuses they want to see their website live. We're building out our first Zoo site now and while it works differently, it seems to be able to do many of the things K2 does as well as some that K2 does not. I would prefer to continue using K2 but as Chris James already mentioned, if you fall behind you will never catch up.