Keyword

K2 and Joomla 4

More
6 months 1 week ago #181252 by Johan Badenhorst
Replied by Johan Badenhorst on topic K2 and Joomla 4
With the release of the latest version of Joomla, the subject of this thread should now be changed to Joomla 5! 
Could we please get any sort of indication of when we can expect a release of K2 for Joomla 4/5?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #181255 by Hollo Robert
Replied by Hollo Robert on topic K2 and Joomla 4
I would be interested in fotis:
What about the development of K2?
Joomla 5.0 has already been released, but K2 still only has a component for 3.x.
Please tell me when the K2 and Radio Wave templates are expected for Joomla 4 or Joomla 5?
I didn't pay for the latter to throw it in the trash either.
I want to keep up with the development of Joomla and I, as a radio host, would like to ask you to comment on something specific!
Publish an announcement or anything, because I'm already thinking about replacing the whole K2, Radio Wave, I'd just feel sorry for the K2 because I'm so used to it.
I think many of us are like this, that we try to stick to what we are used to.
But there is a point when we run out of patience and I see that more and more K2 users are switching to another cck system.
I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
Best regards.: Robert

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #181259 by shoulders
Replied by shoulders on topic K2 and Joomla 4
J4/J5 version will turn up when they do. If you read this blog post you will understand why a J4/J5 version cannot just be knocked out.

I still have not moved from Joomla 3 because the Administrator theme in J4 is horrible. I tried using it a couple of times and there is nothing good about it. ISIS for J3 was and is the best.

I have no idea why the Joomla team think it is a good idea to bring out another version with a load of stuff I will never use because by the time I have learnt what the new systems are they will of decided to change again.
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by shoulders.

More
6 months 1 week ago #181260 by Hollo Robert
Replied by Hollo Robert on topic K2 and Joomla 4
I understand this, but the latest version of J3.10.12 and K2 V2.11 does not want to run for me even on PHP 8.0, so I will have to switch to J4 or J5 and leave K2 if they can't do something alternative solution for this.
I tried all the possibilities available to my knowledge, but K2 does not want to work on v8!
Could you release a version, if it is possible, that works perfectly under php 8.x in addition to the J3, Radio Wave configuration, so that I don't have to move my huge data set, I would simply update my problem?
The tips so far are not a solution, my page still gives 0error0 under php 8.x. This error does not occur with 7.4.33 php version!
If K2 can be smoothly made available under php 8 along with every single k2 add-on, then I will stay under J3 for the time being, only the php version can't be updated by the server administrator and this poses a security risk for him in the long term.
What is the solution to this?
I look forward to your reply as soon as possible!

More
6 months 5 days ago #181271 by krmr
Replied by krmr on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Yes, I spent last week playing with Joomla 4 and then 5, trying the K24J4 fork, creating a new template compatible to J4 and check how difficult it is to make Sig Pro J4 compatible.
I must say it makes completely no sence to me all this complicated new structure introduced, all deprecated methods, the namespaces, etc... It is terrible for old webdesigners-forced-devs like me maintaining simple media oriented websites running smoothly since years. I made J a choice for its user friendlyness back then.
And - IT IS UNSUSTAINABLE. Nowadays we talk about sustainability and waist etc. It is such a waist of time and energy to rewrite all my code to obtain exactly the same effect like in J3.
I completely understand JoomlaWorks hesitation to upgrade K2 and Sig Pro and will stay with J3 until security risk forces me to upgrade.

More
6 months 4 days ago #181272 by infoplc
Replied by infoplc on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hello Hollo Robert

We are having the same problem our J3-x does not work with PHP8....

The only option we have is to migrate article from K2 to Kommla and work with Jommla only..

More
6 months 3 days ago - 6 months 2 days ago #181274 by Tudor D
Replied by Tudor D on topic K2 and Joomla 4
K2 (2.11) is running with no problems or errors on my Joomla 3.10 site using php 8.1.25 on a Debian server. But without any old third-party K2 plugins, with a new Joomla template and with some third-party Joomla modules and plugins disabled. I have updated my site to a new look and I am waiting.

Like on the previous Joomla upgrade we have to wait because there is no alternative solution to K2. The eworkers version of K2 is good only to deal with the upgrade to Joomla 4 but it is not working in a real world due to multiple incompatibilities: cannot edit categories, menu items are generated incorrectly, incompatibility with SEO ...
Last edit: 6 months 2 days ago by Tudor D.

• Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
6 months 3 days ago #181275 by Steven Trooster
Replied by Steven Trooster on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Since the days of Joomla 1.5 you have been complaining about each new Joomla version. Joomla 4 has been out there for more than 2 years, and developers even had more time than that to get their extensions ready. I've been using J4 for quit a long time, and when I open a J3 site, the admin interface feels ancient.
Either stop complaining and get your act together or call it a day.

More
6 months 2 days ago #181277 by Marty Harty
Replied by Marty Harty on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Adapt and survive… J4 together with Tassos Advanced Custom Fields and the improved Frontend Fields/ Editing will get you going. However still missing the simplicity and features or did I grow used to K2 too much? To me the usability of K2 benefits all users, but continuity is key and change is inevitable. Migrating customized J3/K2 websites to functional J4/J5/X ones means redesigning a complete site which takes more time in the beginning. We cannot ignore the lack of new templates and decline in extension support. I still hope for resurrection with a hybrid K2 in the form of a standalone solution and Joomla integration, but my strategy is to gradually change with my clients. Considering the amount of followers I do miss the active participation in opensource development like current K2. This is unlikely to speed up the process, but surely gain trust. 

More
6 months 20 hours ago - 6 months 20 hours ago #181289 by GabiW
Replied by GabiW on topic K2 and Joomla 4
I have migrated over 30 customer websites from J3/K2 to J4 using the JA tool in the last few months. The only third-party plugin I used was Tassos Advanced Custom Fields. Wrote new template overrides. If necessary, image galleries and downloads moved into fields using SQL script.
Depending on the size of the site, the process took between an hour and a week.
Now customers have a (hopefully) updateable system.
After my experience with K2, I will use as few third-party plugins as possible in the future. If there was still a K2 version for Joomla 4, that would no longer be an option for me.
Last edit: 6 months 20 hours ago by GabiW.