Keyword

K2 Add new item window resize

More
13 years 1 month ago #87317 by juju
Replied by juju on topic K2 Add new item window resize
I think to use an other component than K2, but I have already do a lot of modification to adapt K2 to my website, so it would be too long to change to another component. Me too I prefer try to fix the "inconvenience" :)

But it is true that the attitude of the developer is rather surprising, and very disappointing...

In fact, to return to the button save problem, I would like to see a successful message in the middle of popup, and for author a message : "Your article was submitted to a moderator, it will be published after verification".
And after few seconds, popup closes.

It will be great, but when I see that just close the popup when we click on save button is very difficult, I'm not very optimistic...

PS : Sorry for my bad english, I'm a french man ^^

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #87318 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic K2 Add new item window resize
I am not here to cause an argument, but as someone looking at this from a different angle with a view to try and find an ultimate solution.

Clearly, if anyone started calling names etc, no matter how petty it may seem, most people will just ignore you and not help.  I am not going to go trawling to find out what was said, but if you know you said it, then you cant be surprised at the response. Lets keep thing nice and civil please.

Moving forward, William provided a valid solution, use a template over ride, why is that inane?You have someone with a proven track record in K2 community trying to give you advise, so if you dont want a solution to be offered, dont ask the question and the complain about it.

In the grand scheme of things, yes it is something that could/should be fixed, but with 1.6 and new features too somethings do get missed.

So lets work together as a community here.

If we find a problem, lets work together to test it and prove it.If we find a solution, let works together to patch it.This makes it so much easier to get bugs validated, proved and patched.

SimonK2 Support

Jasper Newton said:

I have to say, almost 7 months after I started this thread, and K2 told me they were going to do nothing about it because I had called them names, and it "is not a bug, just an inconvenience" and people like William White responding again with "use an override", I wonder if now K2 will take a look at this problem? Que inane answers that don't address the problem, like "use an override".

More
13 years 1 month ago #87319 by Simon Wells
Please consider this for one moment.

You created this awesome component for Joomla, for free and make it available to the public for free to do whatever you want to with it, for free. A team of community supporters are here, helping for free.

This is embracing open source.

However, there will be some bugs that need fixing and the you will work and fix them.

There are some things that some users dont like or would like to see improved that dont affect the function of the component, so will you just stop everything to make this change.There will be some new features requested, would you assessto see if there would be enough deman across the user base to devote more development time or just throw everything at it.

I have seen all of these happen many times.

We all would like to see changes, but in most cases, only a handful of the thousands agree they want it.

Developer will work through and make changes themselves.

For those that dont have the skills, there are various forums for help and advise.

For those that have a commercial site, then they will pay for development or support.

Those that dont want any other above, then there is little else that can be offered to help.

It would also be hugley beneficial to stick to the topic too.

Simon

More
13 years 1 month ago #87320 by Hanny
Replied by Hanny on topic K2 Add new item window resize
With all due respect, this isn't considered a bug.  It's an 'inconvenience', that the end users are expected to deal with because it was 'programmed that way'.  At least that's what the thread in the bug section said - is that not the case?

Never before has it even been mentioned that it 'could/should' be fixed - EVER - this is the first time by someone directly involved with it.  The FIRST time. 

That's what I find most frustrating with it IMO.  Only now, is it something that 'could/should' be fixed.  Before it was something that was 'designed that way' and we had just better 'live with it'.  It had been reported as a bug once formally, at least that I'm aware of (maybe more!), and the guy who reported it was talked into just 'living with it' because that's 'just how it's written' and it's 'not a bug'.  He went so far as to post in some of the numerous other threads looking for an answer to this same question stating the same thing that the dev's told him "just gotta live with it", "it was made that way, sorry"  Now there is a different song being sung, why?

With regards to a template override being an inane suggestion - I don't think that a template override even comes close to addressing the issue in question... IMO, a fitting analogy would be if someone had a broken leg and was looking for help, and you responded "fix the broken leg". Duh.  What sense does that make?  Now that could be because of my limited knowledge on template overrides (although I understand them in Joomla, and figure the same logic applies).  That doesn't tell the OP what code to add to the override, or even point him in a decent direction to get started learning about template overrides.  Essentially making the answer "use a template override" about as generic as "fix the broken leg", a 'duh' moment if you will.

Also you mentioned 1.6, however this bug (can we call it that now?) was documented long before 1.6 was even in RC states, so I don't see how that even plays into it other than to try and soothe some of the ruffled feathers with a politically correct response.  However, I've been in your shoes and I can respect that.

I'm not here to argue, as you've probably seen I'm just concerned with finding an answer.  Luckily I've got a few other community members who've taken a chance to test some of my code and found a bug with it already.  Once I fix that, hopefully we can put this whole bloody issue to bed and you guys won't have to worry what to say, you can just go back to saying nothing because it will be fixed.

Cheers.

More
13 years 1 month ago #87321 by william white
Replied by william white on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Please see friend request and pm me

More
13 years 1 month ago #87322 by juju
Ouch !

I must admit that it wasn't easy to read everything because I'm French, but I survived :)

So, All I ask is that together we can find a solution, so back to topic :)

I just tried some code but I have each time this lock problem... Grrrr

Thanks again ;)

More
13 years 1 month ago #87323 by juju
And I forget one little thing, but important : I'm not a expert of K2, so maybe I could find a solution, like Hanny, but we have to spent hours and hours, because We don't know how K2 works exactly, so maybe an expert can help us and we find a solution in few minutes... :)

More
13 years 1 month ago #87324 by Simon Wells
Let me please clarify something, my only involvement with K2 is just like everyone else here, we are users.

I am not employed or sponsored by Joomlaworks, just like everyone else here I give my time and experience for free and I have only got involved after some concerned users alerted me to the thread which I was believed to be closed a long tie back after a solution was posted.

Hanny, JuJu, I am with you to find a solution.

You do not need to be an expert to help, you do not need to be a coder to help.

All that needs to be done is useful information on any faults, bugs, issues to be reported.By supplying relevant test information, or if you can, code suggestions, then certain members in the forums such as William and myself will discuss directly with the development team.

Hanny, there is no different song being sung.

If a dev has said that, then that is what they have said, but, if there are so many people feel that it can be improved or fixed, then why not allow users code suggestions to be posted as an improvement, thats where the likes of William and I could step in and talk directly.

The dev team are of course busy developing not just K2 but other projects, so K2 is very reliant on its users and forums.They are not always here to reply to every question, that is frustrating, I know I have had many questions remain unanswered and is one of the underlying reasons why I created simon.getk2.org and now K2Joom.

Its the users, the community that help pull the project together and I cant say that clearly enough.

I hope we are working together on this and would happily talk one to one with anyone.

Simon

More
13 years 1 month ago #87325 by juju
Ok Simon, I didn't know that you're not being part of the developper team of K2 ;)

The problem with the Save button is really clear, we want that after clicking on 'Save', the popup box close and page refresh.

Hanny find a solution, pretty good, but it cause a problem : The item are not well save, so they are locked by Joomla...

More
13 years 1 month ago #87326 by Simon Wells
Sure, understand.

I spoke with William earlier too, so know whats what.

Waiting on his next meeting to see if there is solution.

Simon