Keyword

K2 Add new item window resize

• Jasper Newton
  • Jasper Newton's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #87207 by Jasper Newton
K2 Add new item window resize was created by Jasper Newton
At the risk of sounding schizophrenic by replying to my own posts, I have now finally found the definitive final solution to the whole add item re size pop up modal window thingy ma bob saga. I apologize to those of you who are experts and to whom this may sound like child's play. For those of us who are new to joomla and K2, these issue are a knight-mare, simply because there is no clear guidance. With that in mind, here is the solution which works with K2 2.3. (NOT tested on earlier versions).There are three instances where the pop up window appeared to large for the screen resolution;1) "add new item"  (Found in the K2 log in module)2) "Add new item to this category" (Found when you go into a category)3) "Edit item" (found when you are viewing your item)the solution is exactly the same in all 3 instances, it is the file location that is different;1) To alter the size of the window in the K2 Log in module, find the Userblock.php file, found by; modules/mod_k2_login/tmpl/userblock.php. On or around line 35 (in mine, may vary in yours), find the line;a class="modal" rel="{handler:'iframe',size:{x:990,y:650}}" href="<?php echo $this->addLink; . and change the "Y" ref to 450. Save!!!2) To alter the size of the window in the category add item link, again find the file "Category.php, item.php and User.php"These can be found by; component/com_k2/templates/default/(category.php/item.php/user.php)again find the exact same line as before(a class="modal" rel="{handler:'iframe',size:{x:990,y:650}}" href="<?php echo $this->addLink; ?)and change the "Y" ref to 450.3) To alter the size of the modal window for the "Edit item" link, find the category_item.php file; found by: component/com_k2/templates/default/category_item.php, exactly the same line of code as above, change "y" refI am using K2 2.3 with JA ORES so i had to alter the same file sin the ORES folder. All 3 windows now open nicely.Thank you for listening to my mad ramblings, I only hope I can help somebody who has struggled like I have.Good day to you all :DJasper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #87208 by Scott Osteen
Replied by Scott Osteen on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Here you go

I just made a separate bug report for this problem. I'm not sure why though because it's obvious that they are not paying attention to this forum!

More
13 years 6 months ago #87209 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Good start as a report, but need some more info:

Website URL
Joomla version
Template you are using (and version)
Browser you use to view your site
Operating system running on your computer

I have added my findings to the report. Let's see what happens.

BTW - the link you provided here is wrong. The correct link is:

community.getk2.org/forum/topics/bug-with-edit-window-in-front

If you are quick, you might be able to edit it :-)

Here is something important:

I want to come back to the problem with the window size. Can you provide the info I asked about in the last post? I would like to get to the bottom of this problem as I do not get the it on my own computer.

• Jasper Newton
More
13 years 6 months ago #87210 by Jasper Newton
Replied by Jasper Newton on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Hi Svein,

I apologize if my post (s) have in anyway appeared directed at yourself, my frustration gets the better of me. My frustration/disbelief is with K2

As I have explained before, this annoyance s a bug. it is a bug because K2 say its a bug, who am I to argue?

My sites are running Joomla 1.5.18 and now K2 2.4.1. However this has been an issue since K2 was released, across all versions.

Here is the problem;

The modal window pops up too large so you cannot see the top and bottom of it WITH or WITHOUT a scroll-bar. I am using K2 store plugin, and you cannot see the price field (a Massive problem on a shopping site)!!!!!! but also this a problem on all my sites. Secondly If you can actually get to see the save and cancel buttons,the save button, whilst saving the item, doesn't close the window.
It does say item saved, but guess what, you cant see that because the modal window is too big, now as somebody mentioned on here (sorry forgot who) we know that its saved, we know we don't have to worry because we know it s a bug, plus we can back end it. It is a potentially paying customer who will not only leave my site, but could damage my future business with bad reports and ratings, all because of a nonsense problem to which a solution has been found. I am so passionate about this because I care about my customers experience with my company.
the front end user will struggle to a point where they give it up, hence why I and others do see it as a massive problem. More so when we have provided the solution, there is absolutely no excuse for it not to be done.

All my user permissions and category setups have been done.It is therefore a fault for the end user. The user would see this as a bug and go elsewhere.

Here's what Ive done to help resolve the situation;

1) found the solution
2) contacted K2 twice
3) contacted joomlaworks on 3 occasions
4) brought it to k2 supports attention
5) started this thread off to further highlight the problem
6) posted a blog on the front page to highlight this problem

Here's what k2 have done;
1)...............................................................

I have to say I am so very grateful of the time you have so far spent trying to help.

Jasper

Svein Wisnaes said:Good start as a report, but need some more info: Website URL Joomla version
Template you are using (and version)

I want to come back to the problem with the window size. Can you provide the info I asked about in the last post? I would like to get to the bottom of this problem as I do not get the it on my own computer.

More
13 years 6 months ago #87211 by Oceanwatcher
Can you provide me with login details and a link to your site so I can take a look? Feel free to send it in a pm if needed.

Again - any window that is too big for a certain vertical space is too big if there are no way to scroll it. If it behaves in the same way as the edit for in the backend (you scroll to see the whole form) then I don't believe it will ever be changed.

The issue regarding closing the window has already gotten a reply by a JoomlaWorks programmer (btw - K2 is the product, not the company).

P.S. You should upgrade your Joomla installation immediately. 1.5.20 is a security upgrade and you should not use a version that has known security issues.

More
13 years 6 months ago #87212 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic K2 Add new item window resize
First of all the window size values are on template files which means that they can be overwritten. We put there some default values. So when a user has such issues he can increase his screen resolution. Alternatively you can override the template files and set whatever dimension you like. I still cannot get where the bug is.

Jasper Newton said:Hi Svein,
I apologize if my post (s) have in anyway appeared directed at yourself, my frustration gets the better of me. My frustration/disbelief is with K2

As I have explained before, this annoyance s a bug. it is a bug because K2 say its a bug, who am I to argue?

My sites are running Joomla 1.5.18 and now K2 2.4.1. However this has been an issue since K2 was released, across all versions.

Here is the problem;

The modal window pops up too large so you cannot see the top and bottom of it WITH or WITHOUT a scroll-bar. I am using K2 store plugin, and you cannot see the price field (a Massive problem on a shopping site)!!!!!! but also this a problem on all my sites. Secondly If you can actually get to see the save and cancel buttons,the save button, whilst saving the item, doesn't close the window.
It does say item saved, but guess what, you cant see that because the modal window is too big, now as somebody mentioned on here (sorry forgot who) we know that its saved, we know we don't have to worry because we know it s a bug, plus we can back end it. It is a potentially paying customer who will not only leave my site, but could damage my future business with bad reports and ratings, all because of a nonsense problem to which a solution has been found. I am so passionate about this because I care about my customers experience with my company.
the front end user will struggle to a point where they give it up, hence why I and others do see it as a massive problem. More so when we have provided the solution, there is absolutely no excuse for it not to be done.

All my user permissions and category setups have been done.It is therefore a fault for the end user. The user would see this as a bug and go elsewhere.

1) found the solution
2) contacted K2 twice

I have to say I am so very grateful of the time you have so far spent trying to help.

Jasper

Svein Wisnaes said:Good start as a report, but need some more info: Website URL Joomla version Template you are using (and version)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #87213 by Oceanwatcher
Lefteris,

As far as I have seen so far, it is a matter of getting the window to fit in a certain vertical space. And I agree, this is part of the customization that is expected to be done by a site builder. But the OP does not know anything about template overrides, so i will try to guide as well as I can here.

• Jasper Newton
More
13 years 5 months ago #87214 by Jasper Newton
Dear Lefteris,

Thank you for your response,

I am struggling to see how the point is not being taken on board;

I/we know, that the fields CAN be overwritten I/we KNOW the files can be modified, I/we KNOW that there are many customizations that can be done, all of these things, we KNOW and are well aware of.

******HERE IS THE POINT****************;
when we upgrade to a new version of K2, we have to do all these customizations again. WHY? why can't k2 incorporate a simple backend size option, instead of the 12 files x 4 sites I have to do every-time? , if I haven't made myself clear enough, I am not asking if it is possible to change the modal window size, I am asking why K2 wont incorporate this with a change-log? please re-read my previous post about the damage this WILL have to prospective customers. Am i to assume then a bug can only be a bug if you decide it is? whats the point of having a bug report system? What would be nice if somebody, just one person from K2 would spend half as much effort in to addressing this issue instead of telling us there's no problem.
Lefteris Kavadas said:First of all the window size values are on template files which means that they can be overwritten. We put there some default values. So when a user has such issues he can increase his screen resolution. Alternatively you can override the template files and set whatever dimension you like. I still cannot get where the bug is.
Jasper Newton said:Hi Svein, I apologize if my post (s) have in anyway appeared directed at yourself, my frustration gets the better of me. My frustration/disbelief is with K2

Here is the problem;

1) found the solution
2) contacted K2 twice

Jasper

Svein Wisnaes said:Good start as a report, but need some more info: Website URL Joomla version Template you are using (and version) Browser you use to view your site

• Jasper Newton
More
13 years 5 months ago #87215 by Jasper Newton
Dear Svein and Lefteris, I forgot to add, and here's a bigger point I wish you'd take on board. I am designing websites to sell to customers, The Company will be a web design company, if I build the site and then sell it to them, including all the files and access, they will have to update K2 every now and again, how pleased do you think they will be finding out they've then got to go through all this nonsense over and over again, how quick do you think they'd come back to my company? I truly and honestly struggle to see why you cannot understand this basic point, this is a customer service issue. Of course they could always read this thread for a permanent solution...oh wait......................

Svein Wisnaes said:Lefteris,
As far as I have seen so far, it is a matter of getting the window to fit in a certain vertical space. And I agree, this is part of the customization that is expected to be done by a site builder. But the OP does not know anything about template overrides, so i will try to guide as well as I can here.

• Jasper Newton
More
13 years 5 months ago #87216 by Jasper Newton
Just FYI, I asked joomlart for some help regarding a CSS issue one of their templates, here's the response I got within 20 minutes;

Dear ********

Thank you for contacting JoomlArt !

In this case I think you can go to the file templates/ja_ores/css/colors/light-cream.css
Look for these css
/* Commont style ---*/
a { color: #786e46; }

/* Joomla style ---*/
a.contentpagetitle:hover,
a.contentpagetitle:active,
a.contentpagetitle:focus,
a.readon:hover,
a.readon:active,
a.readon:focus {
color: #3366dd;
}
You can try to change the color in here,I do hope that help !

Sincerely,
Hoang Quoc Dat
JoomlArt.com Customer Service.
www.joomlart.com

Now that's what I call customer Service. Do you see how many times he's told me what I cant do, what I shouldn't do? no, me either. Maybe you could learn something form them?