Keyword

K2 Add new item window resize

More
13 years 6 months ago #87237 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Please tell me something, what exactly are you going to sell to your customers? In case you are talking about a website you will sell them also the site template which contains the overrides.

Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris
Please, I emplore you to re-read this thread.

I have to re do the customizations because k2 update overwrote them all, then again in 2.4.1. I back the sites up every day without fail but they are pointless if K2 is going to overwrite the files. Template Overrides will not solve the problem that we are all experiencing. I can override the template, but say i then sell the product to a customer, the override wouldn't work for them, All that will do is stop ME and ME alone from having to keep updating.

What would be nice is instead of keep being asked what I might be doing wrong, for K2 to say "this is a problem everyone is experiencing, well fix it"

Please answer me this one question; why have K2 not, or are you going to at least consider, implementing a backend option so everybody can set the pop up modal window to their own specification AS OPPOSED to hacking core files?

This way every user for ever wont need to override anything/hack core files. I have said it 8 times now, there is no possible reason for not doing. If your too busy and its zero on your list, fine, then just say so.

Svein keeps saying its not a bug. K2 have already responded to me in a much earlier thread saying it was and they've fixed it; (quote)
reply by Simon Wells (K2 Support) on May 11, 2010 at 7:21pm
@Mike
This is a known bug.
I have tested and reported this, it is fixed and working in the V2.3svn (beta only)

Simon
K2 Support

, which one is it? either it is or is not (i note this point keeps being ignored by Svein)

And William suggests we should change our learning styles. We are all here to learn, hence us asking the questions, hence us having forum posts, But a student learns nothing from a poor teacher.

Is this honestly how you feel your users should be treated?

Lefteris Kavadas said:Why do you have to do all these customizations again? You should do the modifications in your template overrides ( in the Joomla! template folder). This way you shouldn' have any problems after upgrading. Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris, Thank you for your response, I am struggling to see how the point is not being taken on board;

I/we know, that the fields CAN be overwritten I/we KNOW the files can be modified, I/we KNOW that there are many customizations that can be done, all of these things, we KNOW and are well aware of.

******HERE IS THE POINT****************;
when we upgrade to a new version of K2, we have to do all these customizations again. WHY? why can't k2 incorporate a simple backend size option, instead of the 12 files x 4 sites I have to do every-time? , if I haven't made myself clear enough, I am not asking if it is possible to change the modal window size, I am asking why K2 wont incorporate this with a change-log? please re-read my previous post about the damage this WILL have to prospective customers. Am i to assume then a bug can only be a bug if you decide it is? whats the point of having a bug report system? What would be nice if somebody, just one person from K2 would spend half as much effort in to addressing this issue instead of telling us there's no problem.
Lefteris Kavadas said:First of all the window size values are on template files which means that they can be overwritten. We put there some default values. So when a user has such issues he can increase his screen resolution. Alternatively you can override the template files and set whatever dimension you like. I still cannot get where the bug is. Jasper Newton said:Hi Svein, I apologize if my post (s) have in anyway appeared directed at yourself, my frustration gets the better of me. My frustration/disbelief is with K2 As I have explained before, this annoyance s a bug. it is a bug because K2 say its a bug, who am I to argue? My sites are running Joomla 1.5.18 and now K2 2.4.1. However this has been an issue since K2 was released, across all versions.

Here is the problem;

The modal window pops up too large so you cannot see the top and bottom of it WITH or WITHOUT a scroll-bar. I am using K2 store plugin, and you cannot see the price field (a Massive problem on a shopping site)!!!!!! but also this a problem on all my sites. Secondly If you can actually get to see the save and cancel buttons,the save button, whilst saving the item, doesn't close the window.
It does say item saved, but guess what, you cant see that because the modal window is too big, now as somebody mentioned on here (sorry forgot who) we know that its saved, we know we don't have to worry because we know it s a bug, plus we can back end it. It is a potentially paying customer who will not only leave my site, but could damage my future business with bad reports and ratings, all because of a nonsense problem to which a solution has been found. I am so passionate about this because I care about my customers experience with my company.
the front end user will struggle to a point where they give it up, hence why I and others do see it as a massive problem. More so when we have provided the solution, there is absolutely no excuse for it not to be done.

All my user permissions and category setups have been done.It is therefore a fault for the end user. The user would see this as a bug and go elsewhere.

Here's what Ive done to help resolve the situation;

1) found the solution
2) contacted K2 twice
3) contacted joomlaworks on 3 occasions
4) brought it to k2 supports attention
5) started this thread off to further highlight the problem
6) posted a blog on the front page to highlight this problem

Here's what k2 have done;
1)...............................................................

I have to say I am so very grateful of the time you have so far spent trying to help.

Jasper

Svein Wisnaes said:Good start as a report, but need some more info: Website URL Joomla version Template you are using (and version) Browser you use to view your site Operating system running on your computer I have added my findings to the report. Let's see what happens.
BTW - the link you provided here is wrong. The correct link is:

community.getk2.org/forum/topics/bug-with-edit-window-in-front

If you are quick, you might be able to edit it :-)

Here is something important:

I want to come back to the problem with the window size. Can you provide the info I asked about in the last post? I would like to get to the bottom of this problem as I do not get the it on my own computer.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #87238 by Christian Matthieas
Replied by Christian Matthieas on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Jasper

Have we won?

• Jasper Newton
  • Jasper Newton's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 6 months ago #87239 by Jasper Newton
Replied by Jasper Newton on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Dear Lefteris.

The product (s) we will be hopefully selling are;

Domain names, Websites, training packages, Tutorials and any kind of website, be it from social networking, e-commerce, finance, real estate. This is where the problem that I cant seem to get anybody to understand comes in.

Its all well and good me "knowing all the tools" and learning how to override the template. When I sell that complete package to the end user, They, like Svein, may have different requirements for the size of the modal window, according to their resolution and operating system (I note he is using Linux, I'm on windows,so proof of that is within this thread). Then they will contact me and ask how they can alter it, If I say, "ah well, the thing is..you've got to do a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l, and then re-do it every time there's an update, OR I could go through template overrides with you.?" There response will be "behave mate, ill go elsewhere". Damaging my business.

The simple solution here is to have a back end option, like a text field to enter your own size for the window. This would get rid of all of this nonsense.

Suggestions have been made in this thread that I'm some how not grateful for all k2 has done. In my first response to Christian I stated id be lost without K2, and it is a superb component, you should be proud of what you've achieved. All I'm trying so hard to do is resolve a simple problem for a lot of people. This is constructive feedback which helps any company grow and evolve should never be seen as criticism.

When an user of mine contacts my company with a fault, ill do all I can to help. I think you can learn something from that.

Jasper

Lefteris Kavadas said:Please tell me something, what exactly are you going to sell to your customers? In case you are talking about a website you will sell them also the site template which contains the overrides.
Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris Please, I emplore you to re-read this thread.

I have to re do the customizations because k2 update overwrote them all, then again in 2.4.1. I back the sites up every day without fail but they are pointless if K2 is going to overwrite the files. Template Overrides will not solve the problem that we are all experiencing. I can override the template, but say i then sell the product to a customer, the override wouldn't work for them, All that will do is stop ME and ME alone from having to keep updating.

What would be nice is instead of keep being asked what I might be doing wrong, for K2 to say "this is a problem everyone is experiencing, well fix it"

Please answer me this one question; why have K2 not, or are you going to at least consider, implementing a backend option so everybody can set the pop up modal window to their own specification AS OPPOSED to hacking core files?

This way every user for ever wont need to override anything/hack core files. I have said it 8 times now, there is no possible reason for not doing. If your too busy and its zero on your list, fine, then just say so.

Svein keeps saying its not a bug. K2 have already responded to me in a much earlier thread saying it was and they've fixed it; (quote)
@Mike
This is a known bug.
I have tested and reported this, it is fixed and working in the V2.3svn (beta only)

Simon
K2 Support

, which one is it? either it is or is not (i note this point keeps being ignored by Svein)

And William suggests we should change our learning styles. We are all here to learn, hence us asking the questions, hence us having forum posts, But a student learns nothing from a poor teacher.

Lefteris Kavadas said:Why do you have to do all these customizations again? You should do the modifications in your template overrides ( in the Joomla! template folder). This way you shouldn' have any problems after upgrading. Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris, Thank you for your response, I am struggling to see how the point is not being taken on board;
I/we know, that the fields CAN be overwritten I/we KNOW the files can be modified, I/we KNOW that there are many customizations that can be done, all of these things, we KNOW and are well aware of.

when we upgrade to a new version of K2, we have to do all these customizations again. WHY? why can't k2 incorporate a simple backend size option, instead of the 12 files x 4 sites I have to do every-time? , if I haven't made myself clear enough, I am not asking if it is possible to change the modal window size, I am asking why K2 wont incorporate this with a change-log? please re-read my previous post about the damage this WILL have to prospective customers. Am i to assume then a bug can only be a bug if you decide it is? whats the point of having a bug report system? What would be nice if somebody, just one person from K2 would spend half as much effort in to addressing this issue instead of telling us there's no problem.
Lefteris Kavadas said:First of all the window size values are on template files which means that they can be overwritten. We put there some default values. So when a user has such issues he can increase his screen resolution. Alternatively you can override the template files and set whatever dimension you like. I still cannot get where the bug is. Jasper Newton said:Hi Svein, I apologize if my post (s) have in anyway appeared directed at yourself, my frustration gets the better of me. My frustration/disbelief is with K2 As I have explained before, this annoyance s a bug. it is a bug because K2 say its a bug, who am I to argue? My sites are running Joomla 1.5.18 and now K2 2.4.1. However this has been an issue since K2 was released, across all versions.
Here is the problem;

The modal window pops up too large so you cannot see the top and bottom of it WITH or WITHOUT a scroll-bar. I am using K2 store plugin, and you cannot see the price field (a Massive problem on a shopping site)!!!!!! but also this a problem on all my sites. Secondly If you can actually get to see the save and cancel buttons,the save button, whilst saving the item, doesn't close the window.
It does say item saved, but guess what, you cant see that because the modal window is too big, now as somebody mentioned on here (sorry forgot who) we know that its saved, we know we don't have to worry because we know it s a bug, plus we can back end it. It is a potentially paying customer who will not only leave my site, but could damage my future business with bad reports and ratings, all because of a nonsense problem to which a solution has been found. I am so passionate about this because I care about my customers experience with my company.
the front end user will struggle to a point where they give it up, hence why I and others do see it as a massive problem. More so when we have provided the solution, there is absolutely no excuse for it not to be done.

All my user permissions and category setups have been done.It is therefore a fault for the end user. The user would see this as a bug and go elsewhere.

1) found the solution
2) contacted K2 twice

I have to say I am so very grateful of the time you have so far spent trying to help.

Jasper

Svein Wisnaes said:Good start as a report, but need some more info: Website URL Joomla version Template you are using (and version) Browser you use to view your site Operating system running on your computer I have added my findings to the report. Let's see what happens. BTW - the link you provided here is wrong. The correct link is:

community.getk2.org/forum/topics/bug-with-edit-window-in-front

I want to come back to the problem with the window size. Can you provide the info I asked about in the last post? I would like to get to the bottom of this problem as I do not get the it on my own computer.

• Jasper Newton
More
13 years 6 months ago #87240 by Jasper Newton
Lol, I always air on the side of caution, This thread alone has shown me, that when you think your getting somewhere, Somebody is waiting to ignore your point, lecture you on things you really didn't ask for, and chastise you for daring to question their power. hopefully common sense will prevail

Christian Matthieas said:Jasper
Have we won?

More
13 years 6 months ago #87241 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Hi. OK lets get things cleared. For users of K2 who wish to change the default size can modify the code in the template overrides so an update will not be a problem. This is how all Joomla! 1.5 extensions work so this rule should apply to all extensions you are using. Your instructions on this were great but they have to be applied in the template files. Now for your customers you have to take care about the product you sell to them. This cannot be accepted as a bug. It is a feature request. K2 owes it's success to it's vibrant community. We always like to hear what people have to say and suggest. We like to implement these requests making their lives easier. Unfortunately this request will be rejected. At least for now. The reason for this is that some of you have been arrogant and rude and with no respect about our work. And since you have such a company you could implement this feature and then commit it back. This is how open source communities work. Thanks.

Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris. The product (s) we will be hopefully selling are;

Domain names, Websites, training packages, Tutorials and any kind of website, be it from social networking, e-commerce, finance, real estate. This is where the problem that I cant seem to get anybody to understand comes in.

Its all well and good me "knowing all the tools" and learning how to override the template. When I sell that complete package to the end user, They, like Svein, may have different requirements for the size of the modal window, according to their resolution and operating system (I note he is using Linux, I'm on windows,so proof of that is within this thread). Then they will contact me and ask how they can alter it, If I say, "ah well, the thing is..you've got to do a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l, and then re-do it every time there's an update, OR I could go through template overrides with you.?" There response will be "behave mate, ill go elsewhere". Damaging my business.

The simple solution here is to have a back end option, like a text field to enter your own size for the window. This would get rid of all of this nonsense.

Suggestions have been made in this thread that I'm some how not grateful for all k2 has done. In my first response to Christian I stated id be lost without K2, and it is a superb component, you should be proud of what you've achieved. All I'm trying so hard to do is resolve a simple problem for a lot of people. This is constructive feedback which helps any company grow and evolve should never be seen as criticism.

When an user of mine contacts my company with a fault, ill do all I can to help. I think you can learn something from that.

Jasper

Lefteris Kavadas said:Please tell me something, what exactly are you going to sell to your customers? In case you are talking about a website you will sell them also the site template which contains the overrides. Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris Please, I emplore you to re-read this thread. I have to re do the customizations because k2 update overwrote them all, then again in 2.4.1. I back the sites up every day without fail but they are pointless if K2 is going to overwrite the files. Template Overrides will not solve the problem that we are all experiencing. I can override the template, but say i then sell the product to a customer, the override wouldn't work for them, All that will do is stop ME and ME alone from having to keep updating.

@Mike
This is a known bug.

Simon
K2 Support

Lefteris Kavadas said:Why do you have to do all these customizations again? You should do the modifications in your template overrides ( in the Joomla! template folder). This way you shouldn' have any problems after upgrading. Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris, Thank you for your response, I am struggling to see how the point is not being taken on board; I/we know, that the fields CAN be overwritten I/we KNOW the files can be modified, I/we KNOW that there are many customizations that can be done, all of these things, we KNOW and are well aware of.
Lefteris Kavadas said:First of all the window size values are on template files which means that they can be overwritten. We put there some default values. So when a user has such issues he can increase his screen resolution. Alternatively you can override the template files and set whatever dimension you like. I still cannot get where the bug is. Jasper Newton said:Hi Svein, I apologize if my post (s) have in anyway appeared directed at yourself, my frustration gets the better of me. My frustration/disbelief is with K2 As I have explained before, this annoyance s a bug. it is a bug because K2 say its a bug, who am I to argue? My sites are running Joomla 1.5.18 and now K2 2.4.1. However this has been an issue since K2 was released, across all versions. Here is the problem;

1) found the solution
2) contacted K2 twice

Jasper

Svein Wisnaes said:Good start as a report, but need some more info: Website URL Joomla version Template you are using (and version) Browser you use to view your site Operating system running on your computer I have added my findings to the report. Let's see what happens. BTW - the link you provided here is wrong. The correct link is: community.getk2.org/forum/topics/bug-with-edit-window-in-front

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Jasper Newton
More
13 years 6 months ago #87242 by Jasper Newton
And that ladies and gentleman is K2 for you. That is there attitude laid out for all to see. Never in my life will I shell my hard earned money out for people like that.

There is a very good reason K2 is open source, there is a very good reason why they could never sell it. There is a reason why they don't work for Microsoft/Google/steam.

I have to admit, even i didn't think k2 would lower themselves to that level "yeah we'd help but you called us names"

MUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. OK lets get things cleared. For users of K2 who wish to change the default size can modify the code in the template overrides so an update will not be a problem. This is how all Joomla! 1.5 extensions work so this rule should apply to all extensions you are using. Your instructions on this were great but they have to be applied in the template files. Now for your customers you have to take care about the product you sell to them. This cannot be accepted as a bug. It is a feature request. K2 owes it's success to it's vibrant community. We always like to hear what people have to say and suggest. We like to implement these requests making their lives easier. Unfortunately this request will be rejected. At least for now. The reason for this is that some of you have been arrogant and rude and with no respect about our work. And since you have such a company you could implement this feature and then commit it back. This is how open source communities work. Thanks. Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris. The product (s) we will be hopefully selling are; Domain names, Websites, training packages, Tutorials and any kind of website, be it from social networking, e-commerce, finance, real estate. This is where the problem that I cant seem to get anybody to understand comes in.

Jasper

Lefteris Kavadas said:Please tell me something, what exactly are you going to sell to your customers? In case you are talking about a website you will sell them also the site template which contains the overrides. Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris Please, I emplore you to re-read this thread. I have to re do the customizations because k2 update overwrote them all, then again in 2.4.1. I back the sites up every day without fail but they are pointless if K2 is going to overwrite the files. Template Overrides will not solve the problem that we are all experiencing. I can override the template, but say i then sell the product to a customer, the override wouldn't work for them, All that will do is stop ME and ME alone from having to keep updating. What would be nice is instead of keep being asked what I might be doing wrong, for K2 to say "this is a problem everyone is experiencing, well fix it"

@Mike
This is a known bug.

Simon
K2 Support

Lefteris Kavadas said:Why do you have to do all these customizations again? You should do the modifications in your template overrides ( in the Joomla! template folder). This way you shouldn' have any problems after upgrading. Jasper Newton said:Dear Lefteris, Thank you for your response, I am struggling to see how the point is not being taken on board; I/we know, that the fields CAN be overwritten I/we KNOW the files can be modified, I/we KNOW that there are many customizations that can be done, all of these things, we KNOW and are well aware of. ******HERE IS THE POINT****************; when we upgrade to a new version of K2, we have to do all these customizations again. WHY? why can't k2 incorporate a simple backend size option, instead of the 12 files x 4 sites I have to do every-time? , if I haven't made myself clear enough, I am not asking if it is possible to change the modal window size, I am asking why K2 wont incorporate this with a change-log? please re-read my previous post about the damage this WILL have to prospective customers. Am i to assume then a bug can only be a bug if you decide it is? whats the point of having a bug report system? What would be nice if somebody, just one person from K2 would spend half as much effort in to addressing this issue instead of telling us there's no problem.
Lefteris Kavadas said:First of all the window size values are on template files which means that they can be overwritten. We put there some default values. So when a user has such issues he can increase his screen resolution. Alternatively you can override the template files and set whatever dimension you like. I still cannot get where the bug is. Jasper Newton said:Hi Svein, I apologize if my post (s) have in anyway appeared directed at yourself, my frustration gets the better of me. My frustration/disbelief is with K2 As I have explained before, this annoyance s a bug. it is a bug because K2 say its a bug, who am I to argue? My sites are running Joomla 1.5.18 and now K2 2.4.1. However this has been an issue since K2 was released, across all versions. Here is the problem; The modal window pops up too large so you cannot see the top and bottom of it WITH or WITHOUT a scroll-bar. I am using K2 store plugin, and you cannot see the price field (a Massive problem on a shopping site)!!!!!! but also this a problem on all my sites. Secondly If you can actually get to see the save and cancel buttons,the save button, whilst saving the item, doesn't close the window. It does say item saved, but guess what, you cant see that because the modal window is too big, now as somebody mentioned on here (sorry forgot who) we know that its saved, we know we don't have to worry because we know it s a bug, plus we can back end it. It is a potentially paying customer who will not only leave my site, but could damage my future business with bad reports and ratings, all because of a nonsense problem to which a solution has been found. I am so passionate about this because I care about my customers experience with my company.

1) found the solution
2) contacted K2 twice

Jasper

Svein Wisnaes said:Good start as a report, but need some more info: Website URL Joomla version Template you are using (and version) Browser you use to view your site Operating system running on your computer I have added my findings to the report. Let's see what happens. BTW - the link you provided here is wrong. The correct link is: community.getk2.org/forum/topics/bug-with-edit-window-in-front If you are quick, you might be able to edit it :-)

More
13 years 6 months ago #87243 by Carlos Salas
Replied by Carlos Salas on topic K2 Add new item window resize
Hello everyone!

Maybe you guys can guide me.
I have 2 questions.

1. What Jasper wrote here can be used in K2 v2.4.1?
2. Is it possible that this could be adapted to a popup window with jquery, javascript, etc?

Thank you!
Greets.

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #87244 by Christian Matthieas
Carlos Salas said:Hello everyone!Maybe you guys can guide me.I have 2 questions.1. What Jasper wrote here can be used in K2 v2.4.1?2. Is it possible that this could be adapted to a popup window with jquery, javascript, etc?Thank you!Greets.

Yes this works for 2.4.1

for the second question I could not answer. A person from K2 probably won't be on here to tell you though. don't hold your breath.

Morning Jasper. the fight goes on.

• Jasper Newton
More
13 years 6 months ago #87245 by Jasper Newton
Hmmm. yes.
Hi Christian, Carlos,
The "fix" seems to work for at least 2.3,2.4,2.4.1 (not sure about early versions, should do tho.)
The simple "SIMPLE" solution would be a backend "auto" frame height to suit every bodies screen resolutions.
But.....as you've read, K2 won't do that because we dared to question their supreme beings. Maybe professionalism shall prevail and they will swallow their pride and adopt it, funny thing is I don't want any thanks from them (they don't even have to acknowledge me, just adopt it), I just want to help others, and hopefully, I have.

K2 have, as you have seen, rejected this "for now" because we were nasty to them and disrespected their work, even though I praised them twice. Maybe their is hope for the future..........................................

Christian Matthieas said:
Carlos Salas said:Hello everyone!Maybe you guys can guide me.I have 2 questions.1. What Jasper wrote here can be used in K2 v2.4.1?2. Is it possible that this could be adapted to a popup window with jquery, javascript, etc?Thank you!Greets.

Yes this works for 2.4.1

for the second question I could not answer. A person from K2 probably won't be on here to tell you though. don't hold your breath.

Morning Jasper. the fight goes on.

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #87246 by Christian Matthieas
I saw someone posted code that gave an autoframe height... has anyone checked to see if that works? I didn't use it because the person just gave out code without saying what to replace.

Jasper Newton said:Hmmm. yes.Hi Christian, Carlos,The "fix" seems to work for at least 2.3,2.4,2.4.1 (not sure about early versions, should do tho.)The simple "SIMPLE" solution would be a backend "auto" frame height to suit every bodies screen resolutions.But.....as you've read, K2 won't do that because we dared to question their supreme beings. Maybe professionalism shall prevail and they will swallow their pride and adopt it, funny thing is I don't want any thanks from them (they don't even have to acknowledge me, just adopt it), I just want to help others, and hopefully, I have.K2 have, as you have seen, rejected this "for now" because we were nasty to them and disrespected their work, even though I praised them twice. Maybe their is hope for the future..........................................Christian Matthieas said:Carlos Salas said:Hello everyone!Maybe you guys can guide me.I have 2 questions.1. What Jasper wrote here can be used in K2 v2.4.1?2. Is it possible that this could be adapted to a popup window with jquery, javascript, etc?Thank you!Greets.

Yes this works for 2.4.1for the second question I could not answer. A person from K2 probably won't be on here to tell you though. don't hold your breath.Morning Jasper. the fight goes on.