Keyword

What Happened to K2 3.0?

• Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #156089 by Steven Trooster
Replied by Steven Trooster on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Yet another month has passed since the end of april. At Github it seems that the last activity was beginning of may. I don't want to be rude, but should we call the project dead, again? Or maybe someone who does have time to continue development, can fork K2.

Note: the first question in this topic was posted one year and three months ago…
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Steven Trooster.
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 9 months ago #156104 by shoulders
Replied by shoulders on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Hi Folks,

With the lack on information from the DEV Team I have no choice except to plan ahead and look at alternatives to K2. I am nervous about every Joomla upgrade and that it will break K2 and my Knowledge Database will no longer work.

Can anyone suggest some alternatives that work with a similar feature set.

Thanks
  • Rupert Griffiths
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #156106 by Rupert Griffiths
Replied by Rupert Griffiths on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I did a lot of research/testing into this, tried out a number of systems including King Content, ZOO and Seblod. I found ZOO to be the best by far.

So I switched to ZOO about 6 months ago and have not looked back. The quality of the system and integrations with widgetkit make it an amazing system. It allows much better frontend editing for my clients too, addition of galleries, video is so much easier for them too.

Better control over SEO, OG parameters, image resizing etc.

I think in some situations K2 is still better but they are the exception.

Using ZOO requires a bit of a learning curve, and its definitely worth paying for the add-ons from zoolanders too. But well worth it - it has changed the way I do websites and I now produce better work than when I used K2.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Rupert Griffiths.
More
7 years 8 months ago #156796 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
August 1st....

Same 48 issues that have been there for months again plus 5 new ones after that.

When do we call it? I mean, obviously at this point I've moved on to almost exclusively using Zoo and some of my coming back here at this point is for SPORT, but it eventually has to be completed and released or shut down. Which is it?
More
7 years 8 months ago #156798 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
August 1st....

Same 48 issues that have been there for months again plus 5 new ones after that.

When do we call it? I mean, obviously at this point I've moved on to almost exclusively using Zoo and some of my coming back here at this point is for SPORT, but it eventually has to be completed and released or shut down. Which is it?

(and the forum gives me 500 errors trying to post)
More
7 years 8 months ago #156810 by Petar Elez
Replied by Petar Elez on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Badgering dev doesn't help the situation.

I love the project and would like to help finish v3 so I can use it on new projects as many features look appealing.

I don't know how to write the code but am willing to contribute funds to get it finalized.

Is anyone on this thread capable o writing solid code and taking care of the issues remaining?
What would the cost be?

If we can find a qualified person and get a quote, I propose create a crowd funding campaign and see if we can raise money to get it done.

Anyone else interested in this approach?
More
7 years 8 months ago #156813 by Joe Campbell
Replied by Joe Campbell on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
+1

Try reaching out Mohamed Abdelaziz he is an advanced K2 developer:

www.joomreem.com/
www.linkedin.com/in/mzizo
www.joomlaworks.net/forum/profile/88370-mohamed-abdelaziz
More
7 years 8 months ago #156838 by Joe Campbell
Replied by Joe Campbell on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I would also like to offer up the suggestion of breaking up the v3 features into manageable/realistic tasks for the 2.7 series.

I assume most K2ers would rather have steady version progress than huge innovative jumps.

Then by 2.7.9 the K2 community would receive everything proposed in v3.

This could also lead to more to a democratic approach for adding new features.
The community could vote on the features, which would help the K2 dev team to prioritize features.

Your thoughts?
  • Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 7 months ago #157803 by Steven Trooster
There are 54 issues on GitHub. This might seem a lot, but 34 issues are enhancement requests. So this leaves 20 issues unresolved, some of which are real showstoppers. (I've been doing some testing with the current version v3 available) So it's definitely not ready for production sites.

Either some developers should step in and help this project to get it going, or someone should fork this, or we officially should declare K2 dead and migrate to Zoo, Seblod or some other system. Leaving the current status, no progress, is just waiting for the moment K2 and Joomla will no longer work together.
  • Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #157804 by Steven Trooster
There are 54 issues on GitHub. This might seem a lot, but 34 issues are enhancement requests. So this leaves 20 issues unresolved, some of which are real showstoppers. (I've been doing some testing with the current version v3 available) So it's definitely not ready for production sites.

Either some developers should step in and help this project to get it going, or someone should fork this, or we officially should declare K2 dead and migrate to Zoo, Seblod or some other system.

Leaving the current status, no progress, is just waiting for the moment K2 and Joomla will no longer work together. This scares me a lot, since I run a site that has over 1700 articles in K2.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Steven Trooster.