Keyword

Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?

More
12 years 8 months ago #98097 by Pablo de la Cruz
Replied by Pablo de la Cruz on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Not even so... the link at getk2,org changed to

Download K2 v2.5 (RC) for Joomla! 1.5/1.6/1.7

but the file it links to is still K2_SVN.zip - exactly the same one.

Please let me know that I'm wrong and should be looking elsewhere for the RC :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #98098 by Pablo de la Cruz
Replied by Pablo de la Cruz on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Personally, I'd love to give K2 a go but there's no way I'm using it with paying customers' sites - hopefully I'm wrong but software has life cycles too and frankly this feels like flogging a dead horse. I tried Zoo and liked it for the same things I like K2 - but I see no point in using it given the apparent lack of official support, which is also the main source of complaining with K2. It looks sweet but I met my first problem with it within the hour (namely lack of any ACL integration at the backend and my customer needs it) - of course I couldn't solve it without either developers or community support. I'd gladly pay their fee but I fear that no help will be available even so.

So it should be Seblod but I don't even know how to start with it - it's kinda overwhelming.

I'll probably be forced in the end to turn a blind eye at Joomla 1.6 / 1.7, try and replicate its extended functionality using 1.5 + lots of 3rd party extensions, and hope for the best with 1.8... 6 months from now???

More
12 years 8 months ago #98099 by Mark Foster
Replied by Mark Foster on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
It does seem very disappointing if it is  the same version dressed up as a RC

I guess I'm going to have to take a look at Seblod although lack of time may make that an impossible challenge

More
12 years 8 months ago #98100 by Pablo de la Cruz
Thanks Warrick - I'll check the videos. I agree that Zoo's documentation is excellent - following it I was able to have a working site in just a few hours. But once you hit a problem (like I did) you're on your own. No matter how futile it might be, it will take many hours of scratching your head / hacking through code (I must say on Zoo's defence that it's really solid code, well structured and commented). Anyway, if I was able to use ACL with it I'd get on board head first.

K2 main force must be its loyal user base, really supportive, as your very message proves :) and that is currently not happening with Zoo due to their absurd paywall forum policies. And the official Joomla forums don't help either, mostly you get "go and ask at Zoo's forums" kind of answer.

Warrick van den Heever said:

Seblod videos to start the learning process. Zoo support might be bad but the documentation is good enough to get you going.

vimeo.com/channels/seblodcck

More
12 years 8 months ago #98101 by Tonttu
David O'Sullivan said:
 The problem with Seblod is that it suffers from the same restrictions as Joomla does when it comes to categorising content, ie you cannot have an item in multiple categories etc etc. You can do this with ZOO and K2

I did some searches and it seems there are workarounds at the moment and proper support is planned for 2.0 final. Correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

David O'Sullivan said:
ZOO was not even an option until recently in my book as it did not have front end edition. It now does, although the implimentation is wierd. A user can only edit their own submissions. I have posted a modification that sorts this out in the forum. But (& this is the biggest problem with ZOO) it took me days to work out how to do it and I got ZERO help from ZOO despite being a paid member.

Damn, I wish I had known you posted about that! I just posted my own solution to the Joomla forums today. I also fixed their frontend pagination bug and all this together took me only a couple of hours even though I'm not a proper PHP coder. A GREP-like program that can search through the whole Zoo-folder tree works miracles in figuring out what you need to edit. I hope this was the last time I have to hack on Zoo.

More
12 years 8 months ago #98102 by Tonttu
Woah, you got a bit paranoid there! I was only trying to say that without a GREP program it would have taken me ages to find what depends on what and which file I need to edit even. I think I spent most of the time searching through the folders and looking at the results.

• Adamo
  • Adamo's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 8 months ago #98103 by Adamo
The RC is yet available here getk2.org/svnDownload.php

But it can't be used for production sites. I hope the team will soon release the definitive version!

In the meantime i've made the migration from joomla 1.5 + k2 2.4 to Joomla! 1.7 + k2 2.5 RC

I'm going to write how i made the upgrade (the italian version of the guide is ready, i've to translate it to english!).

More
12 years 8 months ago #98104 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
@adamo Good work, we anxiously await the English version

This is what open source is about!

• kiril Hristov Yovev
More
12 years 8 months ago #98105 by kiril Hristov Yovev
Replied by kiril Hristov Yovev on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
Hah, someone moderated my comment. Maybe it's because of the  attached image?

Attachments:

More
12 years 8 months ago #98106 by Rashid Lakhlu
Replied by Rashid Lakhlu on topic Where and when I can download K2 for Joomla 1.7?
another fan lost =(